Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Carpet in a V drive?

HotHallet
    I am with Holy-Balsa Core and Flo Coat all the way. No carpet in V-drive flatty.

76BARRON
    Back in the 60's my dad bought a stevens flat bottom(silhouett)
    with a 427 ford. What he/we did was make plywood cutout's of the area's we wanted to carpet,each side of engine and in front of seats then glued an screwed on 1"x3/4 wood runners under plywood cutout's then varnished the heck out of them then glued
    on indoor outdoor carpet to match the boat color ! Now after
    almost 40 years they are still in service! The glass on the hull(floor) still look's new. with the runners on floor board's any water/oil runs under the carpet and if carpet get's wet it dry's quickly!
    If you have a race type of boat I may not do this but if its a ski/ family flat with wet manifolds then i think you will be very happy!
    BUT! if you go with this route then neatness count's .The cutouts should fit as close as possible and still be removable for cleaning
    or ? that way there will be little or no rattle.add a few strips of thin cork or foam to cushion or pad any rattles and you will not even know they are there. Except on the very hardest of hits!
    I have done two boats like this and have been VERY happy so far.
    I know what it's like to step on wet/oily glass floor and I have the scar's to prove it I hope this helps you to decide. and don't even think of any RINO type stuff or we will be talking about you on these forums for a long time and not in a good way
    GOOD LUCK TO YA !

gochappy
    I had carpet in my rayson and ripped it out...it was a pain in the butt...always wet, would slip around sometimes..I'm going to prep and paint mine...its much nicer to climb in there with a hose to clean it....I agree with the comment on the rhino lining as a way to hide something and if my boat is coming apart, I would kind of want to know it. I think the weight is high on that lining also.....

superdave013
    My schiada never had a nice wood floor to begin with. We fixed the cracks and anything else that needed it. Then we gel coated the inside. Came out real nice too.

DUCKY
    Originally posted by superdave013
    CARPET WILL GET TO BE AN OILY MESS IN SHORT ORDER IF YOU ASK ME
    I second that from experience!

Picklefork
    Silly me, but. Why don't you just fix the oil leaks?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234