Thread: Co2 bottle

565edge
    How do you v drive guys fill your bottles for your air shift.Do you go bottle to bottle.Or do you take it to a shop.I have those little bottles for my pop-off and cant find a shop in town to fill them.I bought a 5# and its to big and i dont have a bracket.Is it safe to fill the smaller one from the big one from a hose.What psi rating do i need on the hose and where do i find the fittings for that thread pitch?What pressure is in thes bottles?

77charger
    as long as the smaller bottle has a rating equal or greater than the bottle filling it over pressure will not be a problem.But you can only get the pressure your bigger bottle has unless you have a pump

Fiat48
    I went to a tank testing place and bought a big bottle and they made me an adapter so I could fill my own bottles for the boat. I use a little postal scale and weigh the bottle after filling. I think the whole seup was about $175.

wsuwrhr
    I have a bracket for your bottle if you are interested
    Brian

Kurtis500
    I got an old SCBA bottle from my work and use it to transfill my little bottle. I use regular compressed air. I get the bottle filled to 2200 pound and regulate it down for the little bottle so I dont blow the seals out of the shifter. I have a quick connect on the transfill line and also on the little bottle. Between rounds I top it off. I have two big bottles and one lasts a couple races.

Big Boys Toy PE857
    Check with a local fire extinguisher company and they will prolly have a used co2 fire ext that can be converted to filling your small tanks. Pressure hose should be at least 1000 psi for gravity equalization. Determine if your larger cylinder has a dip tube or not, you should try to fill with the liquid co2 instead of the gas, it will last longer.
    I'm in the fire ext business and I keep at least one rig like this made up and avaiable at the races to fill my buddies bottles. Seems like no matter how hard you try it is tough to seal up the shifting system in a drag boat. Just watch all the guys sitting in boats at the holding rope and after a pass fooling with turning on and off they're co2 cylinders, not to mention leaving them on in the pits or overnight. You should also invest in a couple of burst disc for your cylinder valve, a little overfill and 100 degree day and Kaplooey.

scottys
    Like BBT says go Co2.Filling bottle should have a dip tube or just invert the bottle to get the liquid.Use a pressure hose to the smaller bottle to get a accuarate weight reading on a scale.
    Source;US air weld,They also carry the fittings

Fired Up
    Had the same situation with mine last year. I went to a welding supply shop that carries/fills gases. Had to have my small steel bottle hydro'd for safety and a new burst disc replaced before it could be refilled, also for safety. Hydro only cost 15.00 as I remember. I weighed it empty to have a start point then once it was filled I weighed it again to know the end point so I wouldn't overfill it. Otherwise, on a hot day you will find out the results of overfilling. I disagree with 77charger, you CAN overfill a smaller bottle from a larger bottle although the pressures are equal. Its the excess volume of liquid CO2 in your smaller cylinder that is dangerous. I know....from personal experience ....the hard way. The facility that charged my bottle overfilled it and the burst disc blew when the boat sat in the sun for a bit. Scared the #%$@&*( out of me. Thank god it didn't happen sitting on the holding rope. I'm comfortable with it now because I know the max weight my bottle should be when full, any more is overfilled. Other examples for filling above are good ideas. Good Luck.