Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: speed

Jet City
    Mike (need faster boat), here is a link to a thread that also has some good info in regard to the SBC/Alpha dealio.
    http://forums.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=2;t=000617
    Scott

HP350SC
    Dr. Eagle:
    Having sold my Eliminator offshore boat with the twin big blocks this summer, I decided I was going to downshift back to that 21' openbow daycruiser like I had before buying the Eliminator.
    So I bought an Ultra 21 footer yesterday and it has the same engine/drive you have been discussing here. I am not going to get crazy with the boat in modifying it, my take is to get a good prop, do the exhaust if you want to pump up the holeshot and midrange, perhaps have the heads worked over, you may be able to get a cam and install it too, but I would not build more than 300 HP if you want reliability. Giving the rule of thumb I have heard many places, that would give you between 3 and 4 mph.
    As far as the high five prop is concerned, my understanding is that it is really a low end prop for holeshot. If you want top end a three or four blade stainless prop may actually be a better choice.
    You might want to contact a reputable shop, like Teague Custom Marine or someone that deals with these boat/drive/prop combinations. I have grown wary of the local boat dealer. You may want to look at the advertisers in Hot Boat and contact one of them for recommendations. I recommended the high 5 since I had the same hull as his for 11 years.I tried many different Laser,Mirage and other props on that boat.The 5 blade lost nothing on top end,was much faster getting there and smoother as well.I know they are designed as a ski prop but ON THIS HULL they worked the best.I finally wound up with a 25p 5 blade with the blower setup.Might have been due to having a smaller diameter than the Laser II which allowed more trim.I have been to the Reinell factory,And they also build Blue Water on the same assembly line.On my friends 2050 Bayliner the high 5 sucked. Point is,what works on one hull may not on another.

Dr. Eagle
    HP350SC:
    Dr. Eagle:
    Having sold my Eliminator offshore boat with the twin big blocks this summer, I decided I was going to downshift back to that 21' openbow daycruiser like I had before buying the Eliminator.
    So I bought an Ultra 21 footer yesterday and it has the same engine/drive you have been discussing here. I am not going to get crazy with the boat in modifying it, my take is to get a good prop, do the exhaust if you want to pump up the holeshot and midrange, perhaps have the heads worked over, you may be able to get a cam and install it too, but I would not build more than 300 HP if you want reliability. Giving the rule of thumb I have heard many places, that would give you between 3 and 4 mph.
    As far as the high five prop is concerned, my understanding is that it is really a low end prop for holeshot. If you want top end a three or four blade stainless prop may actually be a better choice.
    You might want to contact a reputable shop, like Teague Custom Marine or someone that deals with these boat/drive/prop combinations. I have grown wary of the local boat dealer. You may want to look at the advertisers in Hot Boat and contact one of them for recommendations. I recommended the high 5 since I had the same hull as his for 11 years.I tried many different Laser,Mirage and other props on that boat.The 5 blade lost nothing on top end,was much faster getting there and smoother as well.I know they are designed as a ski prop but ON THIS HULL they worked the best.I finally wound up with a 25p 5 blade with the blower setup.Might have been due to having a smaller diameter than the Laser II which allowed more trim.I have been to the Reinell factory,And they also build Blue Water on the same assembly line.On my friends 2050 Bayliner the high 5 sucked. Point is,what works on one hull may not on another. Cool man, you should know what will work. I was making a more general statement that the high five was made for acceleration. It was developed as an outboard prop for bass boats.

need a faster boat
    i will check in to the prop for my boat..any outher help i will take it.. thanks guys....

Dr. Eagle
    I just bought an Ultra 21 LX equipped with the High Five prop. Now I can't wait to see how it does with it!

need a faster boat
    please get back to me with info on your prop...thanks

Bondo
    im running a18 inch prop 21 pich..
    I Seriously Doubt It..........
    It's 8"s from the center of the prop shaft, to the bottom of the Anti-Cav Plate..... The Absolute Biggest Prop that can be Spun on an Alpha drive is 16"s......

HP350SC
    Found a pic. of the motor in the old tub..

whiskey & water
    Reading over this page. Very helpful , I just purchased a 1987 carrera elite, has the 350 (270 hp merc) with alpha drive. The guy that i bought it from said it did 58 mph on gps with 2 guys med size. It also has the thru transom exhaust with a three blade prop. I would like to get close to 65 mph. I see by the info i will have to get a bravo drive on it to be reliable. Oh it also 20.5 feet long.

HP350SC
    Originally posted by whiskey & water
    Reading over this page. Very helpful , I just purchased a 1987 carrera elite, has the 350 (270 hp merc) with alpha drive. The guy that i bought it from said it did 58 mph on gps with 2 guys med size. It also has the thru transom exhaust with a three blade prop. I would like to get close to 65 mph. I see by the info i will have to get a bravo drive on it to be reliable. Oh it also 20.5 feet long.
    Vortec heads,intake and cam will get you close to 65 for $950. Or bolt on the brand new in the box 144 Holley S/C Marine kit I have available for $1600. Will be close to 70mph.Comes with everything except fuel pump. You would need to change your total timing to 30 deg. with a V6 module, or MSD or Crane HI-6 ign.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast