Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NO DRAMA GUARANTEE!!! Real Jetboat thread

Foggerjet
    I'm glad Dan started this thread, I was wondering the same thing. I have more to the break-in question tho. I have built lots 'o' motors but all for a dry surface. When we build a car motor, after the cam break-in we try to vary the engine speed for a while, not holding a constant rpm for a long time. Now, in a boat where the engine is constantly loaded, Do you do the same thing? Like put around for a while and stab the throttle here and there? Boats don't coast very good, so you are either on the throttle or stopped. How do you guys drive during the break-in period? and for how long? My motor isn't like y'all fast guys but I want to break it in correctly. Also when do you do the first oil change? after cam run-in?
    thanks,
    fog

HammerDown
    DanH one thing you can do and it's a old Harley Drag pipe trick is before the new headers are put on take some Hi-Temp Spray paint and put several coats in each tube(the head side). It will help to save the chrome. Not forever, but it helps. For some reason the Hi-Temp White paint seems to work the best.
    I've broken in a few Jet Boat Cams on the Trailer backed down the ramp...between 1800-2000 rpm for 15-20 min. and the diverter full up. Every now and then I would move the R's around also.

Danhercules
    I was plannin to do it in the boat, out of the water, NOT connected to my freshly rebuilt pump. I think I will weld the old one, sounds like a good idea. I accually never thought of that.
    See, there is good info on here.
    Hey Rex, Thanks!!!!! I am a happy man!!:smilespi: My wife was not, she did not like them in bed last night!

Boater Bill
    If you had gone roller, you wouldn't have this dilemma.

hack job
    kind of what i was thinking

460rogers
    Down here in Texas we run our motors on the garden hose.
    When tuning or breaking in a new motor I hook the hose to the motor keeps from blueing pipes and from burning exhaust hoses.
    I never run them dry logs costtoo much.

cyclone
    Originally posted by Danhercules
    I was plannin to do it in the boat, out of the water, NOT connected to my freshly rebuilt pump. I think I will weld the old one, sounds like a good idea. I accually never thought of that.
    See, there is good info on here.
    Hey Rex, Thanks!!!!! I am a happy man!!:smilespi: My wife was not, she did not like them in bed last night!
    Dan-o..You can borrow my drag pipes for the break-in. Gimme a call and come pick them up. They are ceramic coated and are already dull from not running water through them. You wont be doing any more damage to them than i've already done running them dry all summer long. Oh you got a BBC right?

flat broke
    I was starting to get worried, but after Dan said he would not be breaking the motor in connected to the pump, I got a lot happier. I would run the headers dry during break in as you don't need any other issues to look out for while dialing in timing etc. Too much of a risk connected to the garden hose, and unexpected engine stops with water running through the bassetts.
    Run em dry, not connected to the pump, and don't use the shiny new ones... Sounds like a winning plan to me.
    Chris

Danhercules
    Originally posted by cyclone
    Dan-o..You can borrow my drag pipes for the break-in. Gimme a call and come pick them up. They are ceramic coated and are already dull from not running water through them. You wont be doing any more damage to them than i've already done running them dry all summer long. Oh you got a BBC right?
    Do you have magic headers that can bolt up to a BBC and a BBF???
    Just kidding. I have a Ford. Thanks a ton for the offer. I think weldin them up is what its gonna have to be.

cyclone
    ah that's too bad. But before you go through the trouble of welding those ones up, i would ask around. Ill bet someone has an old set laying around that they wouldn't mind loaning to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast