Thread: outdrive service

Ian
    How often do you guys service your outfrives? I have a merc 275 with an Alpha 1. It has a total of about 380hrs and the last service was done about 40 hrs ago (I just changed the motor oil and greased the zerc fittings on the outdrive about 15hrs ago). The bellows look good and I checked the gear oil and it looked good as well. I also checked the drain and fill plugs and they had a slight dusting of metal shavings on the magnets. When I remove the fill plug should I see gear oil?

77charger
    stupid question but from me but are there any hidden zerk fittings i need to do the same to mine its an alpha drive.

DaveA
    While all us Alpha owners are at it, what's the real skinny on realigning the engine/outdrive and lubing the universals? (Now there's some hidden zerks for ya' ) How often, and how much has it been costing y'all?
    It's almost water pump time, and I'm gonna have to consider gimbal bearings, too, if I keep this thing- 1989 w/500+ hours on a ZZ3 350 and Alpha 1 on a 20' Celebrity.
    Any comments???

TCHB
    The alignment of the outdrive is critical. If the engine bolts losten up, the engine will torque over and screw the alignment up. I have know three people now that have destroyed the rubber/brass drive coupler when this happens. My advice is to have it checked and make sure your hold down bolts are tight.

SLOWRIDE190
    not sure how many hours merc recommends to pull the drive off and lube the u joints, but on my volvo sx drive, volvo wants the drive pulled off evey 100 hours. you can't lube the u joints from the outside . my drive is 9 years old, coming up on 400 hrs. with no problems, have followed their schedule religiously.

little rowe boat
    I do it every 100 hrs when I replace the water pump impeller.