Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fock Opec!

MagicMtnDan
    Between OPEC and the oil companies here in the US (record revenues and profits!) and the tree huggers who want more economical cars (and no trucks) yet won't let us drill for oil in the US, we're being screwed. And it's been like this forever! Will it ever stop?! Premium gas around here is already close to $2.50 a gallon and it looks like we're headed for $3 well before summer! FOCK OPEC and the oil companies!!!
    Gasoline prices across the United States are moving up again and have reached a new plateau that could prevail all the way to next fall, according to a new forecast by the U.S Department of Energy.
    The higher cost of energy helped drive up the Consumer Price Index by half a percent in January, according to another report released by the U.S. Department of Labor.
    Members of the Federal Reserve Board said after the Labor Department released the new report that inflation is not a problem for the economy overall. However, energy prices, the most volatile element of the CPI, have jumped 4.7 percent in January to the highest level in eleven months, the Labor Department reported.
    Crude oil prices are now hovering between $35 per barrel and $36 per barrel. Gasoline inventories are relatively small. Cold weather across the Northeast and Midwest hasn't helped the situation, analysts said.
    In addition, OPEC, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, is vowing to cut production in April even while demand for oil is growing in China and India, which are rapidly turning into major importers of crude oil. (They just recently reduced output by 1,000,000 barrels a day!)
    "Defending the Prices of Crude"
    Rafael Ramirez, the oil minister from Venezuela, one of the largest exporters of crude oil to the United States, said the cut in production by OPEC members might be only the first step in the organization's effort to defend the prices of crude. "The decision to cut is firm. If we see the need to cut again, we will do it," Ramirez told reporters at a gas conference in Venezuela, Reuters reported.
    The Energy Information Administration noted in its weekly update on energy prices that with inventories of gasoline low, it is quite likely that higher prices probably will prevail through the summer driving season. The Lundberg Letter, another oft-cited source of fuel price data, also has predicted recently that fuel prices are heading higher.
    American motorists are already feeling the pinch. Retail gasoline prices continue to climb at the nation's pumps, rising more than 17 cents a gallon since late December. Gas prices for all grades rose 3.61 cents in the past weeks to a national average of $1.68 per gallon, according to the Lundberg Survey of 8,000 stations. The price of retail diesel fuel also was up three cents, reaching a national average of $1.69 per gallon.
    The Automobile Club of Southern California's Weekend Gas Watch also reflected the bump up in gasoline prices. "Currently, the average price of self-serve regular unleaded gasoline in the Los Angeles-Long Beach area is $1.930, which is 4.1 cents higher than last week. This price is 19 cents higher than last month and seven cents higher than last year. In San Diego, the price is $1.958, which is six cents above last week's level, 22 cents above last month and six cents higher than last year. Motorists in the central coast pay an average price of $2.016, which is 12.5 cents higher than last week's price, 17 cents above last month and 14 cents higher than last year," the Automobile Club noted.

Tremor Therapy
    Average price is $1.68 per gallon? Where the **** is that? I just bought gas this morning, and the cheapest friggin station in town was $2.11 per gallon, and it was $2.03 on Sunday!
    I'm getting damn sick and tired of this!

Stupid Fast
    I just paid 1.58 this morning for 89.
    Is the problem lack of crude or lack of refinment capability due to lower emmision requirements?
    Or the fact that no one wants a refinery in their back yard?

MagicMtnDan
    Originally posted by Stupid Fast
    I just paid 1.58 this morning for 89.
    Is the problem lack of crude or lack of refinment capability due to lower emmision requirements?
    Or the fact that no one wants a refinery in their back yard?
    Problems as I see 'em:
    1. GREED - OPEC and oil companies want ever increasing profits
    2. GREED - oil companies dont' want to build more refineries
    3. GREED - tree huggers don't want anything but trees in their backyard - no oil wells anywhere
    4. GREED - our politicians have been facing this problem forever and what have they done? Nada. Just maintain a good relationship with Saudia Arabia and let them fock us in our wallets forever. Meanwhile they sponsor terrorists who fly planes into our buildings!
    It's time for us to do what the liberals accused Bush of - sort of. We need to get Iraq cranking out the oil (they have the 2nd largest reserve of oil in the world underneath them). Crank out the oil and WE BUY IT and they use the money to fix up their raggedy-ass country so we can keep our billions here. I don't want my tax dollars going to build post offices in Iraq. I want my tax dollars staying here and their oil coming here to fill my huge SUV.
    There is NO OIL SHORTAGE - just greedy fockers who want our money (starting with OPEC, the oil companies and our greedy politicians who can't plan their day let alone an energy policy for our country!)

HOSS
    $1.69 today for 89.

91nordic29
    Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
    It's time for us to do what the liberals accused Bush of - sort of. We need to get Iraq cranking out the oil (they have the 2nd largest reserve of oil in the world underneath them). Crank out the oil and WE BUY IT and they use the money to fix up their raggedy-ass country so we can keep our billions here. I don't want my tax dollars going to build post offices in Iraq. I want my tax dollars staying here and their oil coming here to fill my huge SUV.
    [B]
    i agree. 1.89 for diesel last week. crazy.

Essex502
    Don't forget the oilmen that are in the White House - Bush and Cheney. I'll bet they're not too worried if prices go up.
    Note that some $0.70 on every gallon of gas goes in the pocket as profit margin to the oil companies!
    Add to that the tightening supplies when Shell closes the Bakersfield, CA refinery that produces 2% and 6% of the CA gasoline and diesel, respectively. Not sell the plant but close it.

sorry dog
    Don't forget the oilmen that are in the White House - Bush and Cheney.
    This doesn't make since. True they may personally profit from it but there is an election coming up that probably will be close. Why would they be for a spike in consumer prices?

Jungle Boy
    While I'm most definalty not defending oil companies, most of the easy plays have been used up in North America. Drilling is getting more expensive due to more remote locations of exploration. OPEC countries are more often than not, third world dictatorships. Venezuala is the 4th largest producer and 95% of their people live in poverty. Just how much money does a criminal government and all their buddies need? Environmental groups in the US and Canada have ****ed up any hope of tapping into vast reserves that are offshore on the west coast. Nobody wants to see the Alaska coast line damaged again. There are many variables on this topic, but it comes down to greed for profits by the oil companies and their power within government. I worked for a company for 6 years that pushed us for more footage, more cost cutting, less days on wells, higher work loads for the same money all while publishing profit reports of 190 % to 340 % per quarter. If any other company in the normal world was posting profits like that, they'd be getting investigated for theft. I sure don't like to be part of it but that's want I do; drill wells.

Essex502
    Originally posted by sorry dog
    This doesn't make since. True they may personally profit from it but there is an election coming up that probably will be close. Why would they be for a spike in consumer prices?
    Both have a family history and family members that are in the oil business. You can't possibly believe that - blind trusts or no - they won't see some profits on the rise in prices. The oil companies are reporting RECORD profits (yet again) and nobody is seriously looking into whether or not the run-up in prices is warranted. Lots of arm waving and moaning over tight supplies, cold eastern states, OPEC, etc., etc....but no REAL investigation on what continually causes this - a consolidation, at least in CA, of companies and refineries. Capital hill is thick with ex-oil and energy industry people. Look at the lame reaction to documented criminal offenses and manipulation of the CA electricity market. What became of that - not jack sh!t! Fines so small that the industry execs can pay them out of their pocket change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast