Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another noise question for Rexone

Cas
    Mike,
    I've been looking at different type of muffling devices and was wondering about your Rex Sound Selector Slip In Silencer......long name for a piece of pipe with holes in it
    Anyway, it seems to be one of the more quiet slip ins. Do you know how much affect it has on HP? More specific, a 500hp engine turning about 5200?
    Also, since it's a slip in with a bolt holding it in, I'm assuming it'll pass the "constant operation" definition?
    btw, this for for my Jet Boat with 4" TT tips

spectras only
    Cas ,I'll chime in for rex since this topic has been discussed here before.The slip in will cost you between 100-150 RPM [much better than supertrapps which you lost more with]. I use them myself and happy with it. Your engine will still be loud but will cut the rasp out and lower your decibel probably by 6. Mike probably has a more accurate answer since they've done some testing with a db meter.

flat broke
    There was a good article comparing most of the decible lowering devices out there in the latest Family and Performance Boating issue.
    Chris

spectras only
    FB , do you remember which one was best ?

flat broke
    Like all magazines these days they don't say any one of their advertiser's product is better than anothers.
    Chris

Cas
    Ok, I just found this, helps a lot.
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/mike/Untitled-1.jpg

Cas
    Would there be more of a power lose the higher the rpms?
    does that even make sense?

spectras only
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Cas
    Would there be more of a power lose the higher the rpms?
    does that even make sense? [/QUOTE Do you mean dB loss/reduction ? There would be some power loss with a drop of 100-150 rpm for sure. BTW Cas , thanks for the comparo chart

They will cost you up to 400 rpm. I say that because we've seen numbers between 100-400 loss, typically mid range. They're the quietest thing we have presently as a slip in. Bolted in does qualify for constant operation to my knowledge. Will they meet J2005 test. maybe, maybe not. every engine combo is different and would have to be tested. They are pretty quiet as current product goes. (That's a very old test btw...and at 50 feet).
    Having said that, they are not a quiet as the new transom tip silencers will be. And those I guarantee won't lose any power on that engine. I've talked extensively about those elsewhere here so I'll let it rest for now.

spectras only
    Mike , when is this new tips silencer coming out and what size tips will go on ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast