Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a boat

That 21 mold looks like it could be an old Hawaiian mold. We tooled up that deck there, it had a built in swimstep (which by the way was a real mother ****er to work with. Couldn't fit my hand inbetween the deck and hull molds a that point, to bond them together. I remember how we ended up doing it, but don't ask) If memory serves me, that the old Spectra bottom on that one too, not counting swim step part.
    The tunnel and the other mold, I don't have a clue. Hard to tell from the pictures the guy provided, plus he used one picture for both molds to show the insides. On the 20 mold, you can see how it's reinforceds with plywood to build the framework. I never worked at a shop whre it was done like that. Always had frames made from pipe, so I don't think that one came from Hawaiian.
    I'll have to disagree with spectras only about throwing away a set of molds after a certain number of parts are pulled from it. There's no reason molds can't last a life time when taken care of properly (read that 'Rogers' molds.......big time). Pushing them out in the sun, burning your parts in them, sure, you're gonna ruin them. But done the right way, the molds will go out of style (in theory) long before you'll wear them out. Some never go out of style, IMHO....Rogers, Spectra, Sanger, etc.
    One good thing about these molds on e-bay is that they were at least stored the right way with the deck sitting on the hull. The deck mold should be tits. There might be some print from the framework, but it should block out OK. The hull will need some more attention to bring it up to the point where you'll want to pull a part from it. But anyone that can fog a mirror should be able to take care of what's needed there.
    DorC, I got your PM, hope this helps.

I should say we tooled a deck 'like' this one on e-bay. I don't know if it's the exact same one, but we did do one with the built-in swim platform. Could be the same one.

565edge
    That tunnel mold looks like there little cat mold too.I think they are all hawaiins.

Originally posted by 565edge
    That tunnel mold looks like there little cat mold too.I think they are all hawaiins.
    565edge,
    Hawaiian never had a tunnel mold. We did build about 4 tunnels and sold them under the hawaiian name, all jets, but we bought the hulls already built, and just rigged them. I'll be damned if i can remember who built them for us.
    Maybe Team Hawaiian built tunnels, but they weren't involved, or a part of the old Schuster/Groom Hawaiian Boats from the 70's.

dorC
    You guys think that 21' would be the boat in forground of this pic?

HavasuDreamin'
    I dig the tri-hull in that picture.

dorC
    Gaud, isn't it atrocious!:yuk:

565edge
    Originally posted by old rigger
    565edge,
    Hawaiian never had a tunnel mold. We did build about 4 tunnels and sold them under the hawaiian name, all jets, but we bought the hulls already built, and just rigged them. I'll be damned if i can remember who built them for us.
    Maybe Team Hawaiian built tunnels, but they weren't involved, or a part of the old Schuster/Groom Hawaiian Boats from the 70's.
    Here is the hawaiin tunnel.They used to be accross from tom papps shop and i did see a couple.If you enlarge the pic you can see team hawaiin on the side.http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/1/4855boat9.jpg

dorC
    Old rigger. Thought I'd post this pic for you. As you pointed out, there is no way you could get a engine in that sponson.

dorC
    565-boy, those sure are the same lines. But that boat pictured, has to be a 21'. This one is listed as being a 17'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast