Thread: oil

bigpapasean
    New be gust wondering what brand weight of oil would you suggest running in a mild built 454.

Hotcrusader76
    I think you can get away with some Kendal 20W50

bigpapasean
    The other thing I was wondering about was how often to change it

Jet City
    15w40 HDEO (such as Chevron Delo), 20w50 or straight 40wt are all reasonable choices for the application, I use 40wt Kendall (less thinning than a multi) for my boat with Napa Gold filters (by Wix). For more details on oil check out www.bobistheoilguy.com. I think anything under 40 hrs would be safe for duration, I change out at 20hrs or so (oils cheap). If your really fussy, you can do UOA's (used oil analysis) to determine best change interval.

HammerDown
    Another Kendall GT40 user here.

miketsouth
    Originally posted by HammerDown
    Another Kendall GT40 user here.
    thats ALL i used in my FWC merc470 for 13 years. 5000 or more hours nothing but WOT skiing. Still runs strong.
    i use mobil 1 15-50 in my jetboat though.

Duane HTP
    Break it in on Kendall GT-1 20W-50.
    Then run it on Mobil 1 15W-50. The Mobil 1 will carry 10 lbs. more oil pressure on a hot day.
    Straight 40W works great on a warm engine, but you need the 20W characteristic to get oil to the needed places quicker on start up.

Hollis
    Seloc Publications Jet drive manual recommends straight 40.

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Duane HTP
    Break it in on Kendall GT-1 20W-50.
    Then run it on Mobil 1 15W-50. The Mobil 1 will carry 10 lbs. more oil pressure on a hot day.
    Straight 40W works great on a warm engine, but you need the 20W characteristic to get oil to the needed places quicker on start up.
    I'm with Duane on this one...
    Break the motor in with a good quality petroleum-based lubricant, such as Kendall. Then switch to a high-quality synthetic base stock lubricant.
    Due to the harsh conditions subjected to a V8 in a marine application, I recommend oil/filter changes every 25 hours of running time. (Petroleum oil motor break-in: change oil/filter at 1-hour, 10 hours, then 20 hours).
    LO

sanger mike
    I used kenndal GT-1 50W last year in my LS7. on problemes