Thread: building a boat dolly

76cole
    i have a 18ft. cole tr1 that i need to take off the trailer and put on a dolly to put in my garage so i can work on it. question is how long do i have to make the bunks on the dolly. do they have to be as long as they are on the trailer or can they be shorter? i am going to make it out of 2x8 wood. thanks
    76cole

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have one I built about 15 years ago. I used 2X6s and I have three cross braces. The boat just sets on them. I wish I could draw a picture of it.
    Maybe I can take a picture of it over the weekend.....

Sleek-Jet
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...12Finished.jpg
    GoFast made this one. I think it's 2x8, a flatty won't need the bunks he has. I'm planning on building mine on Monday...

76cole
    i printed out that picture and was going to build one like it using 2x8's. would it be ok if the bunks are not as long on the dolly as the trailer without hurting the hull? thanks
    76cole

Sleek-Jet
    GoFast built that one for his Raysoncraft GN boat, it is a V hull, not a flat. As long as your just putting the hull on it without the engine, I would think you'll be in good shape without bunks, but you could put a couple more 2x8's on their side as bunks, just to be sure.

76cole
    i plan on putting 4 bunks on it. the engine will be in the boat its just the bunks on the trailer are 12ft. long and the 2x8's i have are only 9'6" long. it is just a temporary set-up or should i get some 12ft. for the bunks? thanks
    76cole

Sleek-Jet
    I would think as long as it's supported. You're not going to tow it down the road, just sit it in the garage. Sounds like a plan.

76cole
    i am trying to get it ready for my first run with it at cfw on new yeays day and it gets dark so dam early i cannot see what i am doing so i want to put it together on the dolly in my garage then back on the trailer.
    76cole

GofastRacer
    I would make the bunks at least up to the v-drive and position them under the stringers especially if you leave the motor in it, I made mine to go up to the kickboard and under the stringers so when I get in it to work on it, the thing won't flex since I am putting a solid driveline in it. Also if the motor is in it, just like on a trailer the weight will over time distort the bottom!..

ACCEPTENCE
    I would make the bunks at least up to the v-drive and position them under the stringers especially if you leave the motor in it, I made mine to go up to the kickboard and under the stringers so when I get in it to work on it, the thing won't flex since I am putting a solid driveline in it. Also if the motor is in it, just like on a trailer the weight will over time distort the bottom!..
    True statement there^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I've taken the motor outta my rides before the long winter to avoid distorsion.
    Course it's out this time cauz it's all junked up :squiggle:
    Cheers!!!