Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luxury Tax!!!!

NorCalCat
    Bad Puddy Tat & jackpunx,
    When can you then register your boat in California with out getting hit with sales tax if you take delivery in AZ and claim a non resident??? I hear one year.
    Anyone know?

79 HUSTLER
    Not quite sure as I have not received anything yet. I just know that certain things over a set amount can get a Luxury Tax. I received one on one of my cars two years ago and did not recall what percent it charged and just payed it as another bill. Should have looked into it a little more back then. Just trying to figure out if I should put a few bucks aside or not-but 1% percent is ok (instead of 8.25%) if something does come. KELLY

Steamin' Rice
    Technically it's a property tax for boats. My understanding is that the tax is due if the boat is stored and/or used in CA the majority fo the time. If you boat in Havasu most of the time and store it in Havasu, get AZ registration and be prepared to show receipts for storage in AZ or a Deed for property in AZ where the boat is stored if you get the tax bill.... I can say that some CA property tax collectors are not very friendly on the phone and they WILL hang up on your eventually if you argue it with them.....

Steamin' Rice
    How fitting... I just realized that my post #666 was related to the CA tax collectors.....

79 HUSTLER
    NorCal- if this is through Force ask them how they are planning on doing this in AZ as there is more to it then just picking the boat up in AZ. That was the plan with my 29 but it just did not work out. Try to get the straight scoop from John as he is straight forward guy. KELLY

NorCalCat
    Kelly,
    You picked up a Force 29?

79 HUSTLER
    yes I picked one up last year at the boat show, There is some shitty pics taken with a camera phone in the photo gallery. Just search under 79 Hustler and they will magically appear.. KELLY

Havasu Luvr
    Originally posted by 79 HUSTLER
    Havasu Luvr- what if you boat is never in ca and is also registered in az. I was on the lookout for your boat on presidents weekend but had no luck. I will definately watch out for you during the year. Later-KELLY
    There is a story behind that weekend. 4 days before the trip I pulled the boat out and noticed that I still had 03 tags so I ask my gf if she paid the reg. for 04 and her is her answer " I think soooooo" guest what? NOPE ! ! ! So I paid it online and printed out the receipt. Sat morning head to Winsor (North) as this is the only ramp that will handle a 29' at this time. Ranger saw my 03 tags and said "NO WAY" Az. law states that current tags MUST be displayed on the vessel and that having the Cali receipt was not good enough. So I elected to enjoy LHC with a different propective. Heated pool in the RV park and quality time with the gf and kids. We walked the channel sunday morning but did not see anyone. Even Randy's (Pet This) 38' was not in the slip. Thats ok, plenty of time to hook up with everyone this summer

79 HUSTLER
    HL, sorry to hear of your mishap but it sounds like you made the best of it. I was able to launch at the Nautical with no problems, they just said to launch at your own risk-like always. I will definately flag you down this summer. Starting in the next two weeks my plan is to hit the river thur-sun 3 times a month. See ya out there-KELLY

SoCalOffshore
    It is not a luxury tax, it is a personal property tax. The tax is 1% annually and if you don't pay or forget to pay they will put a tax lien on you. That is just one more reason why my boat is registered in Arizona.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast