Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lawn care?

i am looking for the best way to install grass in my backyard, i know i could just pay for some sod, but is there companys that will seed it with a high quality seed? i am looking for some avenues that i can go down?
    i remember when i was involved in the construction of new homes and, when they would come around they would spray some paper looking stuff that had seed and fertilizer all mixed in the product, then a week or two later, blam! the grass was growing!
    when i bought my home, i tilled up the front as well as the back, them i payed some gardeners to come and prep the dirt and fertilize then seed, nothing but weeds!!!! is there such a thing as high quality seed?
    any input will be a great help!
    thanks, todd

Mandelon
    Unless you have a lot of time to kill weeds, sod is the way to go.
    Hydroseeding can be done, but it does not make sense unless it is a pretty big area.
    You can water for a week or two and try to get the weeds to germinate, then spray with roundup. Do it a couple of times then go with high quality seed. Keep the seed covered with a topping of some sort and water daily to keep them damp for a couple of weeks. Some varieties grow from plugs, but not the fescues.
    Just buck up and do the sod, it will be done quick, and it is so thick the weeds never have a chance. There also so emergent type pesticides that will keep new weeds from growing..

fourspeednup
    i am looking for the best way to install grass in my backyard
    Ahhh, lawn care spoken by a true gearhead

i thought about going the rock route, but then again, that way too arizona!
    ive been looking through yahoo search, and have come up with some seed that is supposed to be the "GOODS", kentucky blue grass seed? what are your opinions?

ROZ
    I agree with Mandy... Go with the sod. .. With the weather as it is now, this is the best time of year to lay it in...The wetter the better, as I always say....

sod. Marathon 2.
    You can't get there with seed without a ton of babysitting and care.

Hotcrusader76
    Originally posted by toddnjuzz
    i am looking for the best way to install grass in my backyard, i know i could just pay for some sod, but is there companys that will seed it with a high quality seed? i am looking for some avenues that i can go down?
    i remember when i was involved in the construction of new homes and, when they would come around they would spray some paper looking stuff that had seed and fertilizer all mixed in the product, then a week or two later, blam! the grass was growing!
    when i bought my home, i tilled up the front as well as the back, them i payed some gardeners to come and prep the dirt and fertilize then seed, nothing but weeds!!!! is there such a thing as high quality seed?
    any input will be a great help!
    thanks, todd
    Todd....do the sod yourself...it's cake easy...just alot of prep for the dirt
    ~Ty

HOSS
    Spray entire area with Roundup. Spread topsoil about 1-2"`s thick. Rake it in to existing soil. Make sure you lwait one week after spraying Rounup. Throw down root stimultaor over entire area. Casually not heavy. Lay down sod. Cut with spade to fit. Hit with weedeater for exact sizes. Soak it like a swamp immediately after laying it down. Will probably look like dead shit for a bout 3 weeks but will be rooting. Now cuss me cuz you have to mow this shit.
    I use to own a landscaping company. Down here St. Aug grows wild but I always would try to plant Centipede. Especially if I picked up maintenance at the property. It grows slower and not as thick. It also likes to be cut really short for that glass appearance. Doesn`t need as much water as St. Aug.

Mandelon
    Originally posted by Rexone
    sod. Marathon 2.
    You can't get there with seed without a ton of babysitting and care.
    All that lawn care might keep you away from working on your catalog, maybe???
    Marathon 2 is really popular. It gets a nice dark green when it has plenty of fertilizer. Stay away from Jaguar.

my buddy works for a golf course todd he can usally get turf at a pretty good price delivered.marathon 3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast