Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol to Gas?

disco_charger
    OK, is it worth it to convert, or is it just a big pain in the ass? What needs to be changed to turn your alcohol huffer motor into a gas motor?
    Disco

Fiat48
    What is the engine compression ratio? I assume it is blown. Injector or carb? Why do you want to change?

disco_charger
    Not sure on the compression, this is a hypothetical (SP?) question. I know where there is a blown Hillborn injected 468 that I can pick up for very reasonable. I'm assuming that I'm going to have trouble finding Alcohol at the docks, so I thought a bump down to run gas might make the boat more liveable as a lake boat.

Fiat48
    Compression ratio is the most important. If it is over 9 to 1 then you would have to lower the compression ratio by change of pistons, head gaskets, or heads or a combination therof.
    Injector changeover is easy. Barrel valve change (maybe), nozzles, nozzle bodys (depends on type) and pill change. You may have to change the injector pump, depending on the size you have.
    You need more info, but that's the ball park.
    Methanol available from most chemical places, used for many things. You'll burn twice as much Methanol as you would gas.

disco_charger
    So, assuming it's not set up at 13-1, it might not be that big of a deal to make the switch...

Fiat48
    Most guys do about 11 1/2 to 1. I run 12 1/2 to one but blower speeds not that high. Alcohol very forgiving. i've run 7.5 to 1 with alcohol also. Gas is what's picky.

ACCEPTENCE
    Fiat48:
    Most guys do about 11 1/2 to 1. I run 12 1/2 to one but blower speeds not that high. Alcohol very forgiving. i've run 7.5 to 1 with alcohol also. Gas is what's picky. How true is that!!!! Alcohol is very forgiving!!!
    Blown gas not tuned right can torch your motor and end your weekend from Needles launch to the bridge. Yep, that fast!!! Something to think about...

DEL51
    Fiat48:
    Most guys do about 11 1/2 to 1. I run 12 1/2 to one but blower speeds not that high. Alcohol very forgiving. i've run 7.5 to 1 with alcohol also. Gas is what's picky. How well did the 7.5:1 motor work on methanol? Was it better peroming than gas? How much boost did you run? Injected?

Infomaniac
    Mine is only about 9:1 on alcohol.

Unchained
    Dyno tests have proven that at equal cylinder pressures alcohol will give approximately 3% more HP than gasoline. I've confirmed this with several engine builders with dyno's.
    The alcohol advantage is at real high cylinder pressures above what gasoline could run at.
    Racers I've talked to ran 12:1+ static compression and 45lbs+ boost with the blower.
    I just read in Turbo & Hi-tech Performance mag that the import drag car engines running
    Turbo-Alcohol-EFI have achieved 500HP per liter of displacement now.
    That's 900 HP on a 1800 cc engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast