Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum heads

Heatseeker
    Ok guys, You all got me started on Aluminum heads. Now I’ve got a question.
    I have a shot at a pair of Dart Pro1 345’s(w/ 2.30” intakes). Dart’s web site shows them for a 4.5” bore. I’m building a 454 .070”(4.320”) over with a stock stroke. Will these heads work? Looking at the block, there are notches for the intake valves at the top of the bores. Are the notches stock, or did someone have them done for clearance for bigger valves? The block is also o-ringed. The o-ring diameter is 4 3/4”.
    The heads are ready to bolt on.
    Also included with them is a cam and roller lifters. The roller lifters are for a tall lifter bore block. Will they work in a standard lifter bore block?
    I’m set to get a screaming deal on this stuff. But I need to know if I can use it!!!

Infomaniac
    396 had factory valve reliefs in the block.

Fiat48
    You're looking at Flow Data at the dart site. You'll also see all the flow numbers for even the 310CC heads state 4.500 bore. Couldn't figure out where you were coming up with 4.500 bore. http://www.dartheads.com/bbpro310325345.htm
    Anyway, 345 cc intake port is a bit large for your cubic inch but will work. These big runners better suited for the 500 inch and up stuff. Make sure you find out what you are getting. 11/32 or 3/8 valves? Who made the valves? Severe duty valves? What diameter springs? Seat cups? What kind of retainers? 10 degree or 7 degree locks? How much lift will springs take? Dart sells many configurations.
    Roller lifters I am not sure about putting the tall lifter in the old block. Get the part number from the lifters and call whoever made the lifters. If the cam was in a Mark IV block, it will work. Not sure if any of the other generation cams fit the Mark IV but someone up here does.
    Notches in the block: Simply a method of unshrouding the valve in the cylinder. Not necessary with the big bore stuff or basically anything 4.350 or larger bore. Another method to improve breathing without cutting notches and loosing compression is to use an offset head locater bushing and offset the head slightly on the block. Old trick, not used much now. Bolt your cylinder heads to a bare block and turn the motor upside down and look the head as the piston would see it. You'll see what I am talking about.
    [ January 27, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Fiat48 ]

Liberator TJ1984
    I have a 454 Mercury Marine Block it has those same notches in the tops of the cylinders too,several other blocks I have seen have them also....
    Gopherrr

Heatseeker
    Thanks guys!
    My block is actully a old 427 block, previously relieved for a 454 crank. I just wasn't sure if those notches were there originally.
    Fiat48, I wasn't sure on the 4.5" listing. I had a feeling they were just flow numbers, but thought I'd ask anyway. I'd hate to make a large (at least for me!)purchase, and be stuck with something I couldn't use. Info and your self got me all fired up on alum. heads on that previous thread! Now: HELP!
    All this stuff came off a 509 Dart M block. I'll call Crane on the rollers, since I have the part #.
    I thought the 345's were a bit much too, but I think it'll work. I haven't got specific spring info yet, he's looking for the sheet. I do know that they have Manley 11/32" Severe Duty's in them. They were set up for a .700" lift cam, which is the one I have an option to pick-up also. The cam is a DNE stick. .680/.708 lift, 252/262 duration. I already have a set of 1.8 rockers also. Could this combo could kill my low end? It's going in a jet(until I can pick up a hydro!) with an A/B impeller. I'll be running 8-10 lbs. boost.
    Let me know what you think on the cam!
    Thanks again guys!
    [ January 28, 2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Heatseeker ]

sb540
    Does that say hydro? Welcome to the family. Heatseeker:
    Thanks guys! It's going in a jet(until I can pick up a hydro!) with an A/B impeller. I'll be running 8-10 lbs. boost.
    Let me know what you think on the cam!
    Thanks again guys!

Heatseeker
    sb540:
    [QB] Does that say hydro? Welcome to the family. D Dan, I've always said I was working up to a Hydro! I want to be just like you and your dad(minus the belly wink ) !
    Maybe next year...

sb540
    One more problem and you can have mine.

Heatseeker
    sb540:
    One more problem and you can have mine. Can I get that in writing?

Snowboat
    Also included with them is a cam and roller lifters. The roller lifters are for a tall lifter bore block. Will they work in a standard lifter bore block?
    Aren't the lifters for a tall deck block the same as a short deck? Just the pushrods are different?
    Say hello to Billy, Fiat, machine on, the pistons should be here soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast