Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whipple Charged 496???

RiverToysJas
    Am I reading Whipple's website correctly, a 496Mag OR Mag HO with a stage 1 Whipple only adds 10hp??? A stage 2 40ish? That not very much HP for the roughly $8,000 (at least, by the time it's installed) price tag!!! Or am I missing something?
    Here's the page: Whipple for 496 Mag & Mag HO
    Is the "stage #" price over and above the "total kit" price? Then you'll still need installation, and gauges, I assume.
    I think I don't understand what's saying though, because the text repeatedly says 50% power increase. You can't get that on 10hp.
    RTJas
    [ February 17, 2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

Whipple Charged
    Check the page out again, the stage 1, 2, 3, and 4 are for naturally aspirtaed engines, no supercharger. Those our the performance packages. The prices are right next to the descriptions.
    Supercharged package is seperate and does make 50% more power, at this current time there are no upgrades for the supercharger package other than the supercharger.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

RiverToysJas
    That makes sense!!! I DID NOT realize that "Whipple Stage 1 system" wasn't an upgrade for the Whipplecharger. I didn't even know those other stages were something you offered, as an alterative to the Whipplecharger.
    Thanks!
    RTJas

rvw
    Dustin,
    In the whipple NA stage 3 and stage 4 packages you increased the rev limiter.
    What rpm is max HP in stock form?
    What rpm is 525hp in Stage 4?
    What rpm is max hp in Stage 3?
    In Stage 4 what is peak torque 575 or 600? Your WEB site shows both figures.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    [ February 19, 2003, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: rvw ]

rvw
    [ February 19, 2003, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: rvw ]

Whipple Charged
    RTjas, no problem, I went back and looked at and made some changes because it was not clear by any means.
    RVW, 1, 2, 3 have a 5450 RPM limit. Stage 4 has a 5600 RPM limit. Torque has been varing. But it's near 575 with the CMI's, but it's not released yet and not done yet so I can't give exact numbers, we've tested multiple varainces.
    I'm working on a "tweener" right now that may be a lower cost option. Power is looking to be near 550hp, 630lbs. of torque, but this is in development.
    No matter what you do to the 496, the supercharger is by far the best bang for your buck, hands down. Just add up somethings you would need to get NA power on the 496, exhaust such as CMI E tops or Sport tubes, cam, valve train upgrade, valve job, some fuel system upgrade, new filter, stat, cal, engine cover, remote oil filter, etc. Not only that, in most boats, you'll have to pull the motor to do this work.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Riverhound
    Dustin,
    I've heard horror stories of people supercharging the 496 mag & HO model and meting them down. This is supposedly caused due to the type of pistons Merc uses.
    Are these just that "Stories" or are these motors susceptible to this. I'm very curious as I have a 03 496 Mag HO that I am interested in upgrading its performance.

Whipple Charged
    Most are just stories, but I guarantee they have nothing to do with our product. It's very simple really, the piston can take a certain amount of heat for a certain amount of time, thats why we do so much work with the computer. I've spent years preaching how critical supercharger systems are. If pistons are melted, fuel system is wrong, and thats not ours!! So when you here that a piston has melted, thats the system thats on it, not the fact that the piston couldn't take the heat. To let most know, a hyperutetic piston is very strong and light weights. They've been in most automotive engines for years which run hotter, yes hotter than a boat engine. Exhaust temps are over 1700 degrees in some applications. I've run 10lbs. of boost in that motor and didn't hurt it. There will be failures sooner or later, somebody will set pressure wrong, someone will not check pressure, somebody will run a clogged fuel filter, etc. but that would kill a forged piston as well. I've even run 8lbs. of boost non intercooled and didn't have problems. Part of that is that the discharge temp is sooooo low, but other part is that the motor can take the power.
    Funny story, well at least to me. In the initial design, we were told that another company had attempted to SC the 496 twice and burned pistons both times. I asked what the air fuel ratio was, they said they didn't know. I was like, "no air fuel meter?" They said nope. I just started laughing, pistons can take the heat but you have no idea what the air fuel ratio was, maybe 14:1, 9:1, what? So thats how this stuff starts, improper testing, improper fuel system approaches, etc.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Riverhound
    Dustin,
    Thanks for your response. It's nice to have the knowledge of guys like yourself on here to answer all our questions.
    What is involved in the actual installation of the supercharger kit? Does this kit have to be professionally installed or can the normal guy with some moderate mechanical skills attempt
    This?

Whipple Charged
    riverhound,
    Installation is very easy, takes a bit, probably around 10 or so hours. But it's very easy. You need a quality, accurate fuel pressure gauge to set and check fuel pressure, than a set of metric and standard tools, etc.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast