Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise law/mufflers?

kevnmcd
    I have read a lot about the new noise laws that go into affect Jan. 2005 but have not read anything about what we can do to fix our problem.
    I, like many of you, have a big block with thru-hull exhaust. What is there on the market that will (guaranteed) cut the noise level down to a legal level? I have seen plenty of "silencers", but why should I spend all that money on them now if they will not be good next year?

Hang tight Kevin your answer is coming. Just can't give you detail quite yet. I can tell you it will meet J2005 standards and be nice looking.

kevnmcd
    Mike - Is this an original Rex Marine design special? When will you have something to show us? Oh....and price?

It is original and new Rex design. I anticipate something to show you within 30-60 days. Price is undetermined but will likely be significantly less than currently is available in this type of silencer. I can't give more info at this point because I want the info I do give to be 100% accurate.

kevnmcd
    Good news, Mike. Keep us posted.

LeE ss13
    Hey Mike ... how about those Shot Gun mufflers I've seen at your store? You know, the ones with the spring loaded door that fit over the end of headers, stainless, good looking, pricey. How well to they work to reduce noise?

Shotguns work pretty fair but won't meet the J2005 specs for most engines. And they are very pricey for what they are.
    Several years ago we tested a bunch of different silencers. On a 496 that was 103 dBA WOT with open exhaust, the Shotguns blew 99dBA, a -4 dBA reduction. Not close to what's necessary here. That was a 50 foot test, not the J2005 dock test so the numbers aren't comparable at all. The best silencers we tested at that time (a long time ago) was 92 dBA @ 50 feet. Again not acceptable to pass the new shoreline test either, since that test can be administered from any distance LE chooses.
    Shotguns might be accepted somewhere that isn't running you on the meter (just looking for mufflers). That's generally up to local LE in how they want to enforce or not enforce and I'd anticipate they'll be locales that don't employ the J2005 test when it becomes law.
    Again, and I stress this. The new J2005 test standard goes into effect Jan 2005, not Jan 2004. We have a year before existing test standards change in CA. But we also know people won't want to invest in outdated silencer technology (which includes just about everything on the market today regardless of claim) which is why I'm pushing our new product so hard to get it finished. On the other hand I won't release it until I'm 100% sure it is everything it can be just for the sake of being a few weeks earlier.

Cas
    Mike,
    I'd just like to thank you and your company for all you do for high performance boating and actually, boating in general.
    I'll be looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Jordy
    Originally posted by Rexone
    It is original and new Rex design.
    Yeah, it's a big sail with a Rex Marine logo on it. Guaranteed to pass.

Originally posted by riodog
    Mikey, are YOU working on or do you know if anyone else has anything in the works that will be useful for OT headers? Such as Bassetts.
    Riodog
    Rio I am looking at over transom next but it's a different situation for reasons I outlined here. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=37266) . It's going to require a different approach design wise because of lack of water and limit in size (and weight) relative to thru transom.
    We've tested some of the stainless race car stuff on the market and it isn't close to J2005 specs. J2005 at about 3 feet away is a tough standard to meet. And with any water they become quite restrictive. As I've stated before we know how to kill noise. To do it without power loss on a large or blown engine though is the key. Simply plugging it up till the noise goes away is not the answer.
    Jordy don't you have some work to do or somethin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast