Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paging Boat Cop

Havasu Cig
    BoatCop,
    I am familier with the system for running Reg #'s on boats, but do you guys have a system for running a boat by entering the name and hailing port??
    The reason I ask is that were were running offshore and a Coast Guard helo flew up behind us and stayed there for several minutes. He then flew up next to us and I got thumbs up sign and they played with us a little. It was pretty cool actually, but I think they were running the boat before they came up next to us.

Outnumbered
    Since we're on the topic: When I move to Arizona later this year should I register the boat with the AZ Fish and Game BEFORE I move as an out of state (I would be able to keep an address in Kali if necessary) or AFTER I move as a resident. I am looking at avoiding use tax or transfer tax or whatever its called in AZ. My tags are dirt cheap here in Kali and I don't wan't to start over with a new higher assessment and taxes.
    Thanks,
    OL

Three Days Only
    Thers' s no luxury tax in AZ that im aware of and registration is also less then in cali, especially if you factor in the luxury tax add on.
    Jeff

Boatcop
    do you guys have a system for running a boat by entering the name and hailing port??
    We can't run the name and port. If we think something is fishy, we can stop and check the documents. If they don't seem in order, we can detain and/or seize the boat until we're satisfied it's legit.
    I won't go into detail on what the Coast Guard Helo did, but they have a system where they can run the boat name and see if it's been flagged by the Feds as a possible "Vessel of Interest".
    No details will be given in the interest of National and Operational Security. :yuk:
    As far as registering the boat in AZ when you move to AZ, it's cheaper as an "in-state" resident, as opposed to out of state. The only time the Game and Fish Dept. will need proof that the "Use Tax" has been paid is if it's a new boat, registered for the first time in AZ. Proof of paying Sales Tax on the Purchase is sufficient.
    We even had to pay that on our Patrol Boats we purchased Out-of State.

Ducatista
    Whew! Sounds like they are not on to you yet Havasu Cig....

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by Boatcop
    We can't run the name and port. If we think something is fishy, we can stop and check the documents. If they don't seem in order, we can detain and/or seize the boat until we're satisfied it's legit.
    I won't go into detail on what the Coast Guard Helo did, but they have a system where they can run the boat name and see if it's been flagged by the Feds as a possible "Vessel of Interest".
    No details will be given in the interest of National and Operational Security. :yuk:
    As far as registering the boat in AZ when you move to AZ, it's cheaper as an "in-state" resident, as opposed to out of state. The only time the Game and Fish Dept. will need proof that the "Use Tax" has been paid is if it's a new boat, registered for the first time in AZ. Proof of paying Sales Tax on the Purchase is sufficient.
    We even had to pay that on our Patrol Boats we purchased Out-of State.
    Thanks Alan, so if I understand correctly, since my boat is 17 yrs old and I already own it I should not have to pay any taxes to register it in Arizona. Just a minimal registration fee I would assume.
    What about my cars, same deal?
    I went on to ADOT website and they don't have a clear answer for the autos. I'm not sure what type of fees to expect.
    Thanks again for your help,
    OL

Three Days Only
    Originally posted by Havasu Cig
    BoatCop,
    Coast Guard helo flew up behind us and stayed there for several minutes.
    There onto you, ever since you smuggled all those drugs in from mexico. There just waiting for the Havasu Cig smuggling ring to resurface with a full boat load.

Havasu Cig
    It reminded me of a Miami Vice Episode
    BTW: BC, thanks for the answer.

Boatcop
    What about my cars, same deal?
    Here in AZ the vehicle and/or watercraft taxes (Not the sales or "Use"tax) are included as part of the registration fee.
    All you have to do to switch it over (the car, not the boat) is bring it to any MVD office, fill out the application, hand over the old paperwork and plates, pay an arm and a leg, and get the new title, registration and plate. (rear plate only over here) They will have to inspect the vehicle, primarily to verify the VIN.
    If you have a lien from the finance company, you'll need their permission to title it in another state. They should have a form letter for doing this. Call them (The finance Co.) for the paperwork BEFORE you go to the MVD. It'll save a lot of time and hassles.
    And change your driver's license while you're at it. The fine for an AZ resident with out of state DL is huge.

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by Boatcop
    Here in AZ the vehicle and/or watercraft taxes (Not the sales or "Use"tax) are included as part of the registration fee.
    All you have to do to switch it over (the car, not the boat) is bring it to any MVD office, fill out the application, hand over the old paperwork and plates, pay an arm and a leg, and get the new title, registration and plate. (rear plate only over here) They will have to inspect the vehicle, primarily to verify the VIN.
    If you have a lien from the finance company, you'll need their permission to title it in another state. They should have a form letter for doing this. Call them (The finance Co.) for the paperwork BEFORE you go to the MVD. It'll save a lot of time and hassles.
    And change your driver's license while you're at it. The fine for an AZ resident with out of state DL is huge.
    Thanks Alan. I guess the mystery is how much an "arm and a leg" is when I bring it from California to AZ.
    In California, it runs about 10% of the purchase price/value on a new or used car for sales tax and DMV fees. For example, on my 1997 Jeep that is worth lets say $13,000. How much would the fees run? In Kali it would be $1,300.
    Thanks,
    OL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast