Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Paging Boat Cop

Boatcop
    The registration fee is only $8.00, but the Vehicle License Tax (VLT) is based on the value of the car. The basis for the value is the MSRP prorated down a certain amount per year.
    For example, my wife's '98 Dodge Stratus is currently valued (by them) at $3,073 (Blue Book-$4,900) and the VLT is $88.80.
    My '96 GMC is valued at $2,787 (Blue Book-$9,000) and the VLT is $79.38.
    How they get to the figures they use is a mystery. Why the 98 econo car is more than the tricked out '96 P/U is beyond me, but I'm not arguing.
    Your '97 jeep would probably fall right around what I'm paying. (Ka-Ching) They don't care about bells and whistles, just what the base price for the vehicle would be.

Outnumbered
    Thanks Alan. Doesn't sound too bad.
    OL

LHC Kirby
    BC - My FD job requires a California License. If I moved to LHC and had to keep my CDL - what happens?

Jordy
    Originally posted by Boatcop
    My '96 GMC is valued at $2,787 (Blue Book-$9,000) and the VLT is $79.38.
    Alan, I don't know how the Cali folk do it. I just sold my '94 Chevy crew cab 4x4 turbo diesel to one of my buds in cali to pull his toybox around. Last year when I registered it in AZ it was under $90 for a years worth of tags. He just registered in in Cali and they charged him over $350.00. I don't get it. Thank God we live in AZ. To think I was bitching about the $400 it cost to register my '02 Chevy...

BoatPI
    You may want to look further into that $350 reg fee in CA. Being involved in this stuff I have a few facts...
    We retained the new reduced vehicle license fee. It costs about the same to register a vehicle in AZ as it does CA. The diff is the use tax.
    In AZ a used vehicle/vessel purchased private party to private party is NOT subject to a use tax. In CA, it is subject to the full tax by County. So in the big OC, that will be 7 3/4% thank you. New or used. In LA, it's 8 1/4%.
    We also have a tax on vessels billed by the County of registration. Goes for airplanes too. In AZ in is VERY cheap if you are a resident.
    You may also find out insurance for your vehicle is a bit more in AZ! In CA the policys are to a certain extent controlled by the corporate profit and state law. Hey look at our property taxes. CA is far from perfect, but at least we have Prop 13. People in Havasu are screaming about the 20% increase this year! We are limited to 3% increase per year.
    Sales in Az are a better deal as taxes are set at a percentage of assesed value, NOT purchase price.

91nordic29
    old lavey, here is a link that may be helpful
    AZ MVD (http://www.dot.state.az.us/MVD/mvd.htm)

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by 91nordic29
    old lavey, here is a link that may be helpful
    AZ MVD (http://www.dot.state.az.us/MVD/mvd.htm)
    Ya, thats the ADOT site I was talking about. It doesnt clarify what determines the fees on a used car brought into the state that you already own. I called the MVD and they said they look up base list price and then apply their formula. Should only be about $350 for the 03 Dodge 4x4 and $100 or less for the Jeep
    Not too bad.
    Thanks,
    OL

No Regrets
    BoatCop or anyone with an answer,
    Can you register your boat in AZ once it has been CG documented as a replacement? What I mean is- my boat since new has been documented, can I cancel my CG documentation and register in AZ. It has never been registerd anywhere, just documented and will I have to pay any type of tax if I do register in AZ, since its not a brand new boat.
    For the record- I have only been looked at until LE sees the name @ rear, then a smile & wave and no hassles- and I've been in & out the channel for every other summer weekend for the last 2 years.

Boatcop
    There shouldn't be any problem in registering it in AZ if it has only been Documented. As long as the Documentation is in your name. All you need is the original Document.
    If it was documented in someone elses name, you'll need a notarized bill of sale. AND their copy of the Document. They may also require you to bring it to one of their offices to inspect the HIN.
    The only tax you'll pay is the Watercraft License Tax, which is part of the registration fee.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234