I thought I'd add this into the mix... I posted it on Kwicherbichen.com yesterday....
February 25, 2004 -- Indianapolis, Ind. -- The Mobile Enhancement Retailers Association (MERA) has released a position statement on how the aftermarket is being locked out of vehicle dashboards by technical roadblocks, which prevent consumers from upgrading their original equipment in many new vehicles.
Entitled "A Raw Deal for Car Owners," the statement is a summary of how the symbiotic relationship that has existed for the past 50 years between the aftermarket and OEM is changing and is now in serious jeopardy. This will hurt consumers in many different ways, but mostly right in the wallet, says the association.
The integration of vehicle functions such as dome light, power locks, airbag, and vehicle diagnostics have been engineered into the radio / CD player. Some manufacturers have developed odd shaped and sized radio / CD units integrated into the dashboard in such a manner that they cannot be replaced with a different unit. Some have "closed" digital and control protocols that transmit audio and controls signals on a universal digital bus that are only open to car dealers.
"Consumers have a right to repair their automobiles at a reasonable price and to shop around for a better price," said Rick Mathies, executive director of MERA. "We also have a right to upgrade our automobiles as we see fit without having to worry about affecting unrelated vehicle functions. Just like replacing the wheels shouldn't render the horn inoperable, replacing a radio / CD player unit shouldn't make the door locks or airbags stop working."
The statement can be read in its entirety at the association's Website (www.merausa.org).
Prety soon the only modifications you'll be able to make in future vehicles will be speakers and amplification after the D/A conversion...