Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broke down Dodge

PHX ATC
    www.dieseltruckresource.com has some good info on it as well.

djdtpr
    Thanks PHX ATC i apreciate th eresponse. It looks pretty simple to replace.I have don them before on a couple fords and a couple dodges that i have owned previously and they are fairly simple.I am going to try the lift pump then if it wont run i will install the inj. pump.

MikeF
    PHX ATC! What happens to the lift pump that ends up taking out the inj pump? Is there a way to keep it from happening?
    Danny, what is the pump that you have on that truck? Kinda want to know if mine is the same! Have not looked into it. :boxed:

djdtpr
    Mike mine is the vp44 injection pump and it has an electric lift pump which is basicall a carter electric fuel pump.When the lift pump gets weak it starves the inj. pump for fuel which also lubricates it.After a while of that the inj. pump craps out on ya.Yours is still the 12 valve motor isnt it?They dont have this issue at all.

MikeF
    They dont have this issue at all.
    SWEET!
    It's got that mechanical lift pump on it. Had me a little concerned about my possible baja trip at the end of next month.
    Hope yours holds together (like it's supposed to!). :boxed:

PHX ATC
    What he said.
    The lift pump is a pulling pump, while a decent engineer would've put a pusher style pump on there to keep constant pressure. Duh!
    If you have a 12 valver, you're good to go.
    Next lesson, the Killer Dowel Pin!

djdtpr
    Next lesson, the Killer Dowel Pin!
    Oh this is a good one,ive heard about this.Grab a seat Mikey your gonna want to hear this. :crossx:

MikeF
    I only know what I have read about it too. I have yet to check the one on mine, but w/ 180k+ on this engine, it may have been fixed already, or just about to fall out. :skull:
    I DO need to look into it though. Gotta adj the valves(check) and replace the fuel filter............it's time!

Run_em_Hard
    A 2001 should not have any killer dowl pin(KDP) problems, so don't worry. Also the lift pump is the only faulty thing on that truck. You say that you had to remove the chip cause you kept going through trannys, well upgrade your tranny, tourqe converter and valve bodie, not put another stock one in. The fuel delivery set up sucks(all bosch) just like PHX ATC stated about the fuel pressure is correct. The best ugrade any diesel owner can do is get some gauges. Fuel pressure, EGT, and either boost of tranny temp. Put that chip back on and go and buy a triple lock tourqe converter that can handle that power. Check out http://www.dieselpp.com/ to fix your fuel delivery issues and http://www.dieseltrans.com/ for your tranny probs. Any other questions, PM me.

STV_Keith
    DJD, 4psi is way low. Sounds like the lift pump is gone and it took the injection pump with it, which is not uncommon (as PHX ATC said). I can get you a deal on the parts if you need a VP44. The best deal on the lift pump is direct from Cummins, around $140. PM me if you want a price on the VP44.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast