Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broke down Dodge

Run_em_Hard
    DJD, 4psi is way low. Sounds like the lift pump is gone and it took the injection pump with it, which is not uncommon (as PHX ATC said). I can get you a deal on the parts if you need a VP44. The best deal on the lift pump is direct from Cummins, around $140. PM me if you want a price on the VP44.
    If you are ever going to change the lift pump don't even bother going with a stocker. At the very least buy a carter 4601 pump and relocate it at the take, which would make the system a push not a pull(which is best). If you want a nice system spend a little money and buy a FASS sysem www.dieselpp.com there is nothing better. I have one on my truck, with injectors, and an edge comp at wide open I have never seen below 15 psi of fuel, idle at about 20. The FASS has ,I think, a 600,000 mile warranty. The only reason that you will ever have to replace a Injector pump is fuel. Whether it running it out of fuel, not enough fuel(lift pump bad), or bad fuel. Other than that they will last.

Run_em_Hard
    Even better.....read, everyone read.
    http://www.dodgedieseldatabase.com/fuel_delivery.htm

djdtpr
    Thanks for the info on all this stuff guys.I ordered what they call the hot rod pump and i am installing a walbro pump at the back of the truck.I also am gettin rid of the banjo fittings and going with AN fittings so the fuel flows better with less resistance.I talked to the guy at Diesel Performance Warehouse and he was as helpfull as they get.I may have to install a bypass regulator just in front of the injection pump but they said that after that i will never drop below 15 lbs of pressure even at WOT.

Wild Horses
    MikeF
    If you are not absolutely sure your have had your dowel pin fixed or repaired, You would be very wise to have it fixed so you don't have to repair it later.
    I lost my dowel pin at about 160,000. It is a major repair because you will have to remove your camshaft which means you either pull down you whole frontend (this is what I did) or pull the motor. The fix will cost you a couple hundred bucks but the repair will be a couple thousand. (that is to have someone else do it for you) Turbo Diesel Registry magazine (online) has some good info on these things for doing it yourself.
    Clint

MikeF
    MikeF
    If you are not absolutely sure your have had your dowel pin fixed or repaired, You would be very wise to have it fixed so you don't have to repair it later.
    I lost my dowel pin at about 160,000. It is a major repair because you will have to remove your camshaft which means you either pull down you whole frontend (this is what I did) or pull the motor. The fix will cost you a couple hundred bucks but the repair will be a couple thousand. (that is to have someone else do it for you) Turbo Diesel Registry magazine (online) has some good info on these things for doing it yourself.
    Clint
    Gonna check into this on my truck. I've seen that site before and checked it out today. Looks like the easiest method is to just peen the end of the hole so the pin can't work it's way out. Saw a TST kit for this problem. I'll likely just buy the front seal and gasket/gasket material from the dealer.
    Thanx!

Outnumbered
    Thanks for the info on all this stuff guys.I ordered what they call the hot rod pump and i am installing a walbro pump at the back of the truck.I also am gettin rid of the banjo fittings and going with AN fittings so the fuel flows better with less resistance.I talked to the guy at Diesel Performance Warehouse and he was as helpfull as they get.I may have to install a bypass regulator just in front of the injection pump but they said that after that i will never drop below 15 lbs of pressure even at WOT.
    Why spend all that money if you are trading in on a Chevy/Izusu-D-max

PHX ATC
    Before you adventure into the KDP issue...check your VIN and engine # to make sure you even fall into the category of having that issue. With waaaaaaaaay early production 2001's, there might have been an issue, but the midseason and late bloomers wouldn't have that issue. If you have 4 wheel disc brakes, it's a 2001 1/2 and you wouldn't have the KDP issue at all.
    I would venture to bet that you won't have that issue, but check the VIN and block ID's to make sure. TDR or DTR or the diesel crazy websites will have the ID and VIN ranges listed for you.
    Sounds like a good plan with the pusher pump, new fittings, and everything else. If you plan on keeping the truck, spend the $100 or so and get a fuel gauge on it, if you haven't already.
    :rollside:

Wild Horses
    Before you adventure into the KDP issue...check your VIN and engine # to make sure you even fall into the category of having that issue. With waaaaaaaaay early production 2001's, there might have been an issue, but the midseason and late bloomers wouldn't have that issue. If you have 4 wheel disc brakes, it's a 2001 1/2 and you wouldn't have the KDP issue at all.
    I would venture to bet that you won't have that issue, but check the VIN and block ID's to make sure. TDR or DTR or the diesel crazy websites will have the ID and VIN ranges listed for you.
    Sounds like a good plan with the pusher pump, new fittings, and everything else. If you plan on keeping the truck, spend the $100 or so and get a fuel gauge on it, if you haven't already.
    :rollside:
    MikeF has the 12 valve according to an earlier post, which means killer dowel pin. The 24 valve started in 1998 1/2 and is rarely affected from what I hear.
    Clint

garret
    Today the wife and i were headed home after having breakfast and all the suden my truch just shut off like someone just turned the key off.It is a 2001 dodge diesel,has anyone else had any problems with these trucks?I definatly think that this will be the last dodge i ever buy it has been nothing but a pain in my a** from day one.Any help or advice would be apreciated.
    Thanks
    Danny
    If you dont get your truck( and you spell truck with a k not an h and sudden has two d's stupid) fixed my toyota will make sure your boat makes it to the water!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast