Thread: Injector vs Carb

Taylorman
    Is there anyone out there running an injector on there tunnel ram instead of carbs in there jet boat. Just wondering how they compare, pros and cons.

Hotcrusader76
    Come on GOFASTRACER.....before I convince him otherwise....hurry!

Unchained
    I've always run carbs on a blower but I'm just now switching to Turbo's/EFI. The carbs ran ?ok? and I knew how to tune them ?ok? but keeping a consistent float level seemed to be a source of recurring problems.
    The Enderle constant flow setups that you see on drag boats may be great for drag racing but whenever I see anyone out on the water trying to use one for recreational boating they look like a handful. They have to use a squirt bottle to shoot raw fuel into the injector hat to get the engine to fire and then the idle speed is about 1800 rpm. With vdrives this guarantees that they can't travel in a no wake zone. Looks like far too crude of fuel metering for recreational use. Now if you want to look cool and you don't care how it runs then the Enderle setup can't be beat.
    IMO the EFI systems will continue to gain popularity, the price will come down, and carbs will be phased out just like with street cars. The price coming down part has to come first. Some of the manufacturers that want $ 7000 for the EFI system like the one you have in the picture is way high. The components are just not that expensive.
    Mark

GofastRacer
    Taylorman:
    Is there anyone out there running an injector on there tunnel ram instead of carbs in there jet boat. Just wondering how they compare, pros and cons.
    I have seen them on race boats, not on lake boats mainly because the average recreation boater don't understand injection whether it's EFI or constant flow!. That BDS unit is very good, lot of car guys use them on the street, it's just like a factory EFI, it will work in a boat, you just have a lot of electrical components to deal with!..Constant flow is just plain simple if you have the right components!!..
    Pros: Reliability, simplicity, no vacuum problems, no floats, no P/V's, no leaky gaskets, just to name a few!!
    Cons: Mmmmm, can't think of any!!....

GofastRacer
    Unchained:
    I've always run carbs on a blower but I'm just now switching to Turbo's/EFI. The carbs ran ?ok? and I knew how to tune them ?ok? but keeping a consistent float level seemed to be a source of recurring problems.
    The Enderle constant flow setups that you see on drag boats may be great for drag racing but whenever I see anyone out on the water trying to use one for recreational boating they look like a handful. They have to use a squirt bottle to shoot raw fuel into the injector hat to get the engine to fire and then the idle speed is about 1800 rpm. With vdrives this guarantees that they can't travel in a no wake zone. Looks like far too crude of fuel metering for recreational use. Now if you want to look cool and you don't care how it runs then the Enderle setup can't be beat.
    IMO the EFI systems will continue to gain popularity, the price will come down, and carbs will be phased out just like with street cars. The price coming down part has to come first. Some of the manufacturers that want $ 7000 for the EFI system like the one you have in the picture is way high. The components are just not that expensive.
    MarkI can't tell ya how many boats I've seen on the water with the same problem!. Believe me it's only because they have the lack of the proper components and knowledge to make it work, there is no reason whatsoever why a constant flow injector can't be used for a lake boat!..Back in the 80's I ran a set of crowers on my lake boat, I laso ran brackets with it!.I never had a squirt bottle, it would idle at 800rpm all day long, no plug fouling, pulled skiers and my daughter and her friends on a tube, barely at plane,never had a problem!!.In fact, I'm seriously considering taking the carb off and putting an injector back on!!... eek! wink

Unchained
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by GofastRacer:
    the average recreation boater don't understand injection whether it's EFI or constant flow!.
    Pros: , simplicity,
    Go fast racer, Didn't you contradict yourself there. Average recreational boater doesn't understand injection,
    but their simple?
    Just trying to paint an accurate picture of the pros and cons of inj. to carbs.
    I would say that one of the main pro's of the Enderle Inj is that it's the cheapest setup you can go with if that's a factor. When I priced one out it was going to be $ 1,750 for everything including the fuel pump and cam drive.
    Compare that to two 1050 HP dominators, Good electric fuel pump, good return style regulator, linkage, and a scoop = $ 2,200

GofastRacer
    Unchained:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by GofastRacer:
    the average recreation boater don't understand injection whether it's EFI or constant flow!.
    Pros: , simplicity,
    Go fast racer, Didn't you contradict yourself there. Average recreational boater doesn't understand injection,
    but their simple?
    Just trying to paint an accurate picture of the pros and cons of inj. to carbs.
    I would say that one of the main pro's of the Enderle Inj is that it's the cheapest setup you can go with if that's a factor. When I priced one out it was going to be $ 1,750 for everything including the fuel pump and cam drive.
    Compare that to two 1050 HP dominators, Good electric fuel pump, good return style regulator, linkage, and a scoop = $ 2,200No, I don't think I cotradicted myself, if you understand both carbs and injectors you will find that injectors are a heck of lot simpler to fine tune than a carb but, if you don't understand how either work, they both can be a royal pain in the ass!!...The cost of the Enderle is defenitly cheaper and I think the Hilborn upright 4 holer is cheaper yet??!..For ease of driveability, the Hilborn surpasses the Enderle although the Enderle can be made to be very driveable!!...