Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you have blower and turbos??

Eric455
    is it possible to have an engine setup with a supercharger along with twin turbos? will the engine even hold together?? has anyone even attempted such a crazy idea??? man i wish i had and extra $50,000 doolars to do something like that!!!
    thanx for any info::
    eric

flat broke
    Eric,
    While in theory, I suppose you could do it. One would have to ask why? You could setup a twin turbo system to draw through the carbs, then blow into the blower, but I don't think it would work too well. If you want to make gobs of boost, either get bigger turbos or a bigger blower.
    Chris

syke-o
    i agree with flat broke

riodog97
    Dah, Detroit Diesel has been doing just that for aleast the past thirty years! What's the point? What are you trying to obtain? I realize that this is a different application but the end result could be accomplished in many other ways, simpler, easier, and cheaper. Blower= instant 'go', turbo's= 'go' without the power robbing blower to drive. BUT then we must consider the fact that all of the plumbing, etc, is going to be generating 'heat' all over the place and where are we going to introduce the fuel into the equation, and are we going to try to run an intercooler, carbs, port injection ? And we want this motor to stay togather for HOW many hours between rebuilds? You think $50,000 will do it? When you come up with a plan, let me know, I'm always up for something a little different!
    riodog

Its been done. Can't remember who did it back in the 70s but it was on a TAD. They ran twin turbos blowing into a 6-71, its called two stage supercharging. Tractor pullers use two stage set ups also. Cummins Diesel had a twin turbo diesel that were staged, one low pressure turbo blowing into a hi press. turbo, made 475 hp stock but could be turned up to make over 700.

Eric455
    hey guys i dont want to do this setup. i was just wondering if this was even attempted before and if so if it was succeded. thats all i know you could make more hp with alote less cash. so thanx for any info. take care everyone.
    eric

DEL51
    Back in the late 80's a guy named Rick Dobbertien built a pontiac J-2000 prostreeter. The engine had twin draw through turbos feeding into a blower.He also installed a nitrous system.I never heard how it ran but it looked cool.Simplicity is the best and combining the two wold be a hassle.The blower would add heat the system and may even restrict the boost from the turbo's.Go with a state of the art twin turbo with modern efi.Aset up like this on a small block made 1700 hp.That was a Ken Dutweiler motor n one of the car mags.

Havasu Hangin'
    DEL51:
    Back in the late 80's a guy named Rick Dobbertien built a pontiac J-2000 prostreeter. The engine had twin draw through turbos feeding into a blower.He also installed a nitrous system.I never heard how it ran but it looked cool.Simplicity is the best and combining the two wold be a hassle.The blower would add heat the system and may even restrict the boost from the turbo's.Go with a state of the art twin turbo with modern efi.Aset up like this on a small block made 1700 hp.That was a Ken Dutweiler motor n one of the car mags.Wasn't that car called "Overkill" or something?

HOSS
    Well DEL, you have a decent memory. Rick built the J2000 as a dual turbo dual blower setup with a totally polished stainless frame. 128 colors in the paint! Yes it was juiced too! Goodyear specially made the rear tires, don`t remember exactly how wide but they were also street legal. Car was for sale as of 3months ago for around 150k. Cost about a mill to make I hear. He also built that Earth machine out of a stainless milk trailer. That`s for sale too! Seems Rick`s old lady left him and he`s now broke.
    Around 89 or 90 another guy did the dual on dual induction in a Monte Carlo or El Co. Car was purplish I believe or maroon.
    The J2000 was over the top. That was an engineering marvel. Had the best of everything and street legal. To outdo himself, Rick then made the whole body lift up like that of a Funny Car. I`m sorry but that car will never be topped. Every one else will always be runner up! I wish someone would buy it so we can finally have a time slip!
    The motors we installed in the MK-V`s are turbo and blown Detroits. When I worked for Trinity Yachts, the same thing. And they were 2 stroke diesels. I don`t remember if the Venezuelan boats were both but I think they were.
    [ November 18, 2002, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Jordy
    HOSS:
    The motors we installed in the MK-V`s are turbo and blown Detroits. Must be lovely powerplants like the ever fun to wrench on "Silver 92" Detroit... what a pain in the ass those motors are.
    Jordy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast