Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Stringers?

HalletDave
    Originally posted by Danhercules
    I am no boat expert by any means, but that s good point. Why not aluminum. Just glass it in. If not aluminum, what about TREX? A manufacured wood product that dose not rot?
    Oldrigger??? Where are you???
    Dan,
    I am getting ready to replace the bunks on the Hallett Hauler with Trex. The lumber yard that I am geting the Trex from tells me I can staple the carpet on to the Trex with no problems.
    I decided on the Trex since no one in the Antelope Valley has any kiln dried douglas fir. I don't want to take the chance of wet lumber bowing or twisting.
    If there are any reasons why I should not use the Trex product as trailer bunk replacements, please chime in.

spectras only
    I would choose a simple solution [ being cheap ] if you don't want more lumber in your boat .Cut 2x10's out of styrofoam , shape it to the angle of your V and encapsulate it with # of layers of mat & rowing. Sunrunner boats built their boats in a similar fashion with metal plates imbedded for engine mounting. Never seen a rot problem with those boats. I've seen trailers with the Trex stuff ,I'll replace my bunks with that when due If you can find kiln dried douglas fir ,thats what I would use for stringers.

Originally posted by HalletDave
    If there are any reasons why I should not use the Trex product as trailer bunk replacements, please chime in.
    Apparently it has little or no strength. It is just recycled plastic with some wood particles imbedded in it. It is designed to span distances of 16" not 8'.
    Here's a thread from another board:Trailer bunks (http://www.realjetboats.com/cgi/yabb...num=1075601403)

79TahitiCBB
    So you guys running allum, are you having any problems fiberglassing them into place? Are you just using standard polyester resin or anything special?
    Also are you just running the stringers or do you have to go all out like mud duck and build an entire engine compartment?
    BTW mud duck sweet setup. I am gonna do something like that when I get to building my river jet.
    Mike

Back Forty
    Aluminum honeycomb core.
    Build the structure, glass/ epoxy and vaccum bag the thing, then glass it in as one piece.
    The stuff comes in many forms/thicknesses and so on.
    Lots of this stuff out there.
    Just a thought.
    http://www.freemansupply.com/AluminumHoneycomb.htm
    http://www.mcgillcorp.com/alcore_bri.../products.html

dorC
    I *believe* that glass will not stick to aluminum. The bond between the two is weak and will separate.

mud duck
    I thought Glasstron claimed their boats were made with honeycomb stringers in the early to mid 1990's. I think they claimed to be rot free too.
    I looked seriously at one with a 350 ci in it around 1994 or 1995, so I scoped out their web site then to learn more about their boats and their manufacturing techniques.

mud duck
    Well, fiberglass will stick to steel. At least I have done it while attempting to hide rust on car fenders and wheel wells. I have used it to create a surface for body filler to cling to where holes in the car body existed. I know (and knew then) the right way to do it is to cut out all the old rusty metal and weld in new metal, but that was not an option at that time. :wink:

Danhercules
    Originally posted by HalletDave
    Dan,
    I am getting ready to replace the bunks on the Hallett Hauler with Trex. The lumber yard that I am geting the Trex from tells me I can staple the carpet on to the Trex with no problems.
    I decided on the Trex since no one in the Antelope Valley has any kiln dried douglas fir. I don't want to take the chance of wet lumber bowing or twisting.
    I dont know. I was asking. I know TREX dose not rot, but about the strengh. Where's Old rigger?

dorC
    Originally posted by Danhercules
    I dont know. I was asking. I know TREX dose not rot, but about the strengh. Where's Old rigger?
    Trex is a wet noodle. Absolutly NO strength.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast