Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porpoising

Phil
    I just bought a 32 foot Grew Power boat. It is equipped with twin 496 H.O. and twin tabs. The boat seems to porpoise alot, and I have to put the tabs down all the way to get it to level out. Is this normal? The Dealer I bought it from says "since it's an off shore design this is normal."
    Im wondering if there needs to be more weight up front.
    Please help.

Havasu Cig
    That is not normal. Our Top Gun does not porpoise at all, and it has very little weight in the bow because it has a minimal cabin.

CAHotRodBoy
    Definitely not normal. Offshore don't porpoise unless something is wrong. Could be not enough bow weight. How quickly does it plane out? Do you need full trim and tabs to get it to plane?
    Does it porpoise at all speed or just a certain range. Some boats like to run at higher speeds and do porpoise until you hit the “sweet spot”.

SoCalOffshore
    That is not good. Take it back and get your money back.

SoCalOffshore
    I may be wrong, but I think that Power Boat Magazine tested the Grew and had some issues with the ride.

gnarley
    Sounds like the props are wrong & can't hold the bow out of the water & it continues in a cycle up & down. I'd talk to a good prop shop & ask them what they think would cure it. I would think that more cupping in the prop or even larger diameter may cure it but you will need to give your prop shop many numbers for them to help you & may end up spending $500 to $1000 to fix the problem or even more if these props are just the wrong blade to start with.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Phil
    I just bought a 32 foot Grew Power boat. It is equipped with twin 496 H.O. and twin tabs. The boat seems to porpoise alot, and I have to put the tabs down all the way to get it to level out. Is this normal? The Dealer I bought it from says "since it's an off shore design this is normal."
    Im wondering if there needs to be more weight up front.
    Please help.
    My 30' Eliminator never ever porpoised, chine walking...now that is another story. I think you may be right, you may need some ballast up front. Regardless, the dealer is FOS....it is not normal...

Havasu Cig
    Make the dealer fix the problem. If you start messingwith props, x-dimension ect.. it can get expensive.
    The current set of props I am running have been reworked three times just to dial it in, and this is a boat that ran good from day 1.

Steamin' Rice
    Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
    That is not good. Take it back and get your money back.
    Exactly.....

paradigm shift
    I think Grew as a manufacturer of performance offshore boats is pretty new and that hull is also a new hull for them. The dealer-manufacturer should be willing to work with you on set up to get it right. Give them a chance before you throw in the towel. At the same time make them make it right. The dealer is wrong that it is normal from what you say here. Porpoising is not normal if set up is correct.
    Some things that can cause porpoising as a driver is drive trim setting also. You said the tabs are down all the way but what are the drives set at? Are they roughly even or the prop shafts level with the bottom of the boat at speed? Over trimming the drives will cause porpoising also. What tabs are you running. I doupt your problem can be corrected by either of these things alone but just something you can check. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast