Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning to ski...

fourspeednup
    (or if your at true masocist, beach starting).
    I have been accused of being a sadomasocist on occasion...
    Slalom looks like a lot more fun than wakeboarding behind a wakeless boat. I'll try out whatever I can and get some pics taken so you can see me fall and look stupid

phebus
    In the past, I would have definately reccomended going with a set of doubles before using a slalom ski, but the new widebody slalom ski's are so easy to get up on, that I wouldn't waste my time learning on doubles. Either that, or a wakeboard, but I'm an old school guy, and I still prefer skiiing to wakeboarding.

fourspeednup
    What do I do? My friend used to pull his dad around all the time so that's good, but he doesn't know the first thing about actually skiing.
    So I'm sitting in the water, holding the rope, ski(s) out front. He gets on it and I just hang on...

burtandnancy
    Sleek Jet (with the cool P-38-B) is on the right track, let me add another step from an old skier to an improved skier: start on the doubles or board to get the idea, then go to beach starts with a driver who knows how to do it. Then switch to the Aussie style with the handles behind your butt (like ski racers) and see the vast difference. No back aches, no sprained shoulders, no long drags, and best of all, you can use this style with an under- powered boat or a full on 1200 hp second gear starting ski racer. Once you ski Aussie style, you won't go back...

Mohavekid
    Knees bent, arms straight, push down somewhat with your back foot.
    A single handle rope should be on your weak side. If you ski right foot forward, the rope should be on the left side of the ski. Left foot forward, the rope should be on the right side of the ski. With double handles the ski should be in the middle.
    Driver should start off at a medium pace. A jet boat with the gas mashed to the floor accelerates too quickly for most slalom beginners to hold on. The driver should watch the skier and "roll" into the throttle as the skier starts to plane out on top of the water. Too much gas and the skier is pulled over the front of the ski, too little gas and the skier drags. It's different for each skier and boat. Smoothness with the throttle is helpful.
    It's not hard, but does take some practice.
    Good luck.

Sleek-Jet
    Originally posted by fourspeednup
    What do I do? My friend used to pull his dad around all the time so that's good, but he doesn't know the first thing about actually skiing.
    So I'm sitting in the water, holding the rope, ski(s) out front. He gets on it and I just hang on...
    Well, yes... the trick is knowing when your going fast enough to stand up (the ski's get on plane). With double it's pretty easy to figure this out since you'll probably pop out before the boat get's up on plane. When you're sitting there, bend your knees till they almost touch your chest (like your crouched in the water), this will point the tips of the ski's down, till they are out of the water just a little bit. Have the driver take all the slack out of the rope!! When the rope gets taught, make sure your lined up with the boat, the yell for your buddy to get on it (HIT IT, or something like that). As soon as the ski's start to come out of the water, you can start to stand up, but like I said, on doubles this will be pretty quick. Try it a few times and you'll see what I mean.
    The trick with deep-starting on one is knowing when your going fast enough to stand up and be able to keep your balance, and staying straight, and keeping from drinking half the lake, ect... It usually takes a little work to deep start on one, but it's worth it.
    Oh yeah, get an observer that knows what they are doing also, they can give the driver info on how your getting up and out of the water, stuff like that.

fourspeednup
    Thanks for the instructions.
    This sounds fun! I can't wait for spring break!

Steamin' Rice
    Get a wide slalom ski and give it a shot. Keep your arms straight while getting up or you will fall on your back evertime. I have seen tons of people get up, pull their arms in, and fall right on their backs. Also, keep your knees bent while getting up and push with your back leg. It feels like it takes forever to get up, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. We have taught a bunch of people how to ski on a single ski and they have been able to pick it up. It will help if you boat has enough power to pull you out of the water quickly, otherwise you will drag for a long time which is no fun.....

fourspeednup
    Ummm, I'm standing here and trying to figure out which foot goes forward?
    -The boat has plenty of power(did I just say that?) and I think the difficult part will be hanging on and getting the driver to go easy on the gas.

biggercb
    be a man
    dont worry about learning to ski on skis
    learn to ski barefoot
    chicks dig it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast