Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olds Cams

Taylorman
    Check out what Dwayne at HTP has to say in this thread (http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=109)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Originally posted by Wet Dream
    396, Fogger,
    Are you guys running these cams straight up or advancing the gear 4*?
    I run mine straight up. I am also running 10-1(around there) comp, and my total timing is 30 degrees. i run low timing so she wont blow up (cheap insurance). Sure I could bump up the timing but is it worth it? A few extra hp and r's vs. longevity of the motor. Remember its an olds not a chevy! I run dry headers and a nonadjustable rocker setup so the lift cant be too high. I kept the lobe seperation up so it wouldnt suck water into the heads when I ran water. I run them dry now. My boat pulls pretty good at 3000r's. i usually cruise her around 3200r's anyways so I into the cam when cruising. You can tell the difference from 2200r's to 3000r's. I only spin 4800r's on my olds and she lives.
    My "boat expert" told me that a low comp motor doesnt need anything over 230@.50 because it will never spin the r's to make the power. Also, a tight lobe will suck water back into the heads.
    In my opinion, I think the cam I am running is the best for a olds thats mild. if you have alunimum heads,adjustable rockers,high comp forged slugs,studded bottom end, steel crank,oiling issues worked out, then run a larger cam. But remember if you dont have serious $$$ in that olds then she will die! I know this for a fact because I blew 2 of them up last year I learned that my wallet wasnt that heavy after the bill came for all the work on my olds
    Thats just my opinion, and my experience with OLDS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12