Thread: Possible fix for copper gasket

DEL51
    I printed out the post by infomaniac on sealing of copper head gaskets and brought it to my engine builder. I have had the very same problem and it was nice to show that I am not the only one who had this experience.He told me that other customers were aware of the same deal and he designed a fix.He Machines the gasket and installs a composite insert.This seals around the water passages. I will install these on my 572. I am still looking for the right boat to purchase,so the engine assembly wont be completed anytime soon.I can't give anymore details for this reason.If you guys are interested and want more info,mention it in your post and I can give you his number.

Infomaniac
    DEL51 I would like it. Did he have comments about any of the other suggestions?

Unchained
    Del, That sounds like a good idea. I concidered opening up the holes in the copper and installing O rings but the problem was that in some places in the copper gasket are small holes that restrict the water transfer flow between the block and heads. I couldn't think of a good way to O ring it and still have the restriction in place other than tapping the block and putting a pipe plug in the water transfer hole with an orifice size that would be your restrictor. If you don't have the water restriction in place the water flow will just take the path of least resistence and may not cool the far end of the block and heads.
    Certainly a gasket that has O rings that you can install dry and reuse would be best. As I said in the other thread I have had great success using silicone sealer once I figured out where to put it, but it takes time to clean it off before you reuse the gasket. I use a air grinder with a wire brush on it.
    What boat are you looking for ?
    I know of a few for sale.
    21'tunnel IO with blown small block, 92 mph
    I rode in it, Real nice ride, strong engine.
    Engine covered, through trans exhaust.
    The hull is a Jimmy Johnson Eliminator Daytona copy.
    20' Awesome Cat IO, no engine or drive, The guy has several different large or small blocks with Bravo's or Alphas that can go with it.

Infomaniac
    Unchained: Where did that JJ copy SBC boat come from? Was it the Craig Taylor bunch that owned it?
    Del: The Cougar is for sale minus engine. Do not want to sell it but working for American Airlines right now is uncertain.

Unchained
    Info, The guy who has the 21'tunnel IO for sale is in Grand Rapids, MI area. The boat was new in 1996 and he bought it from a guy in Sturgis, Mi. I don't know who the orig owner was.

DEL51
    Hello, I showed him the part about the silicone.This was the most important response cause it worked.That is when he told me about the fix.The name of the builder is Todd Goodwin,Goodwin Competition,phone # is (920)685-3000.Tell him Chris refered you.I told him I was going to mention his fix on this post if you guys were interested.Call between 9am and 6 pm CST.He does stay later than thi but not consistently. He will return phone calls.Infomaniac,if I had the money on hand right now,That cougar would be mine.I have seen it and think it is a bargain.I too, am unsure about my economic future.I have a 3 hour interview on tuesday with the local powerplant.I am one of 7 left out of 129 applicants.I would think this would be more stable than my previous jobs.I am interested in all the boats listed and will be patient on my search.If I cant get a well paying job,I will make my own boat.I have the mould for a 19ft sprint. this was a n old design from eliminator and I got the mould on a bank repo for $250.00. I am half way through building one for my friend.This is not a tunnel and not compatable for v-drive usage.My next boat will be a tunnel or v-drive if I can swing it.The boat build is fun but labor intensive. I am trying to do it the right way.DEL51