Thread: Blown gas

Big Boys Toy PE857
    OK, bought a Cheyene tunnel hull jet tonight. Has a 468 BBC that was a blower motor. The previous owner had blower trouble and took the blower off and put on a torker manifold and a single 4 bbl. Haven't run it yet bue know its gonna be a dog. Low compression blower pistons.
    I have an 8-71 Littlefield blower that I intend to put on the deal as soon as I find a blower intake.
    Now my hope is to run injected gas. This will be a lake boat, not drag racer. How much difficulity do you blower guys for see for the mechanical Enderle hat deal? My drag boat runs blown alcohol so I'm familiar with that and settin the barrell valve, and changing spools type stuff. Just not suire that I can make it idle down and still accelerate through mid range without tuning problems. Anyone have any experience with that type set up?
    Thanks.

Fiat48
    While a bird or a bug work o.k. for part throttle operation, the best setup is a Hilborn 4 port upright for gas. Hilborn still makes this old hat and used ones still sell for near new price. If you don't have a hat already, that's the one to buy. The most driveable injector for gas I have ever seen.
    You can work with the Enderle and make them work better for part throttle by blanking off the main jet in the barell valve, then T in the to the main fuel line and put your main bypass there with a 2 to 3 lb spring. Then take your brass check valve out of the barrell valve and make that a part throttle bypass, using about a 12 lb (to start) spring. Tune the part throttle opening by pressure and you can also do a pill to limit part throttle bypass.
    At full throttle, the part throttle (hole opening) will be closed and all fuel bypass will be throught the main jet. At part throttle, you'll be bypassing some fuel back to the tank for cruising..which was selected by the spring and jet you put in the bypass.
    Locking the mag at 34, working with the part throttle bypass and possibly some spool work you can get a pretty low idle.
    Drag guys also use this setup to keep from loading the motor on a hard burnout. Same deal..you'll just be tuning it different.

Kurtis500
    I run the 4 hole upright Hilborn. Didnt know it was easy to run at part throttle. Never had it run very well at that speed, but I only do it in the shut down area anyways.
    If its a lake boat, I would go with the 4-hole upright since you can run a nice scoop and an air filter type set-up. They also sell the 4 hole with different cubic inch intake areas. Then put the electronic conversion on the injector. From what I hear its the best for street/lake type stuff.. But bring your pocket book, I hear its over $2500.

Fiat48
    Old Hilborn we used to run many moons ago in our blown gas lake deal. I used to use a very large check valve (from a detroit 8V 92) to hold the injector wet. Squirt it to start once in the morning and would hold prime most all day, making for turn key starts. The wife drove it quite often. Ran smooth at part throttle and we skied with it all the time. Don't know what the deal was on the scoop. Musta been the way I bought it used.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...7_2004-med.JPG

jaminj947
    I'm about to run an enderle hat on gas and am looking for any tips also. I've heard everything from don't do it, it won't work to 'no problem'. I've never worked with one but I understand how they work, just need a starting point. I was told to use a by-pass similiar to a hi-speed by-pass instead of the main in the barrel valve. any pointers would be great.

Big Boys Toy PE857
    Fiat, I appreciate your input. Have the motor out of the boat now and supposed to pick up an intake tomorrow. Then the search for all the little pieces will be on.
    Wish I had your experience, Fiat. Maybe I'll stumble through it with dumb luck.
    By the way, do you use any kind of locktite when you attach the drive to the gear?

Fiat48
    Originally posted by Big Boys Toy PE857
    Fiat, I appreciate your input. Have the motor out of the boat now and supposed to pick up an intake tomorrow. Then the search for all the little pieces will be on.
    Wish I had your experience, Fiat. Maybe I'll stumble through it with dumb luck.
    By the way, do you use any kind of locktite when you attach the drive to the gear?
    Yes, I red loctite anything to do with the camshaft gear or gear drive. On the injector, you just have to work with it. No magic, just have to understand the barrell valve and how it works. Enderle is made for wide open throttle, but can work at part throttle with some effort. Smaller nozzle sizes also help.

Fiat48
    Originally posted by jaminj947
    I'm about to run an enderle hat on gas and am looking for any tips also. I've heard everything from don't do it, it won't work to 'no problem'. I've never worked with one but I understand how they work, just need a starting point. I was told to use a by-pass similiar to a hi-speed by-pass instead of the main in the barrel valve. any pointers would be great.
    First look at the basic plumbing for an Enderle below. This is a modified version of returning fuel on an Enderle. There are several variations of doing this. The fuel flows from the pump, through the fuel shutoff and into the metering (barrel) valve. There is a T fitting and a main bypass check valve and pill holder. Your main jet goes here. The bypass valve will have a light tension spring in it, about 2 lbs. Fuel will bypass through that main jet whenever the engine is running. You are just bleeding off excess fuel you cannot use at any time. The size of the main jet is determined by many factors, engine size, nozzle size, pump size, etc. The lever you see is connected to a "spool". It's just a round cylinder that is partially cut away. The spool covers and uncovers a couple of ports that are drilled into the metering valve. Crank the throttle (turn the spool) open and more fuel goes to the motor (out to the distribution block and then to the nozzles.
    There's a 9/16" cap plug on the metering spool. Inside that in this system is just a jet with no hole in it. Plugging the internal port.
    The port to the idle check valve is open from idle to about 1/4 throttle open. After that, it is shut off and flows no fuel. In that way, it doesn't effect your full throttle metering. The spool controls when this "idle fuel" is shut off.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...nGasTR-med.jpg
    Now, if we want to bleed more fuel back to the tank at part throttle, we have an adjustment. Since we know the idle port is open at part throttle (cruising), we can take that idle check valve and install a lighter or stiffer spring (more or less pressure to open it) and even another small jet (which would taylor how much fuel we return at part throttle.) That's your part throttle metering adjustment. Remember the port is closed off anyway at wide open...so it only affects idle and part throttle operation.
    High speed: There's no high speed bypass shown in this system. But it's just another check valve with a stiffer spring (60 lbs or more) that opens at high RPM, when the injector pump is more efficent than the engine so additional fuel must be bypassed to the fuel tank. The high speed bypass is plumbed right into the main fuel line, just like the main bypass shown.
    The main bypass or the high speed can be installed right off the fuel shutoff. I prefer to do it that way. Picture below shows a "quick change" bypass plumbed at the fuel shutoff.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...4plumb-med.JPG
    To tune it right: No high speed at all. Main jet the thing till it runs the fastest SPEED. Then fatten the main jet 10 numbers. Then put in the high speed and work with the high speed find to find the best ET. Generally there's a speed gain. OR Old School: Not for the weak of heart. Do as above except: Use a projected tip "hot range" spark plug. lean it till you fizzle the ends off the plugs. Then fatten it 5. And put in a cold plug. For gas only, not alcohol.

VERY GOOD POST FIAT. NOTHING LIKE A K BOAT WITH INJECTION