Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: turning boat over tomorrow

HotRod Sprint
    Originally posted by tahitijet
    Update. I got the boat flipped over and started mapping the bottom. As i expected it would be the bottom is worse off then i originally thought. at any rate my main concern is the area directly ahead and the width of the intake. it seems to gradually role into the intake over a distance of a foot or more. If i set a straight edge off the transom forward the front of the intake (and the area approx 1' forward) are a good 1/4" lower then the transom and the other end of the straight edge.
    sould I leave this roll in that area to give a smooth transition into the intake? or is this a sign the intake is set to low?
    thanks in advance for any input
    Hey Tahitijet, I remember a thread a while back talking about this area just in front of the intake, and something about that slight roll actually feeding the pump better. They used an analogy of tap water running down a butter knife, and also a spoon, the water follows the roll of the spoon. I would suggest you call Duane at HTP, and talk to him about it before starting any work.
    Rod

tahitijet
    Jake W.. thanks for the input. You ha da tahiti correct? can you give me some input and the shoe, rideplae, as well as a droop on these boats? I seem to get mixed reactions on if they work or ont on tahiti's
    American Turbine Man I ran out and snaped a few pics and there attached.. I do not belive it is a reapir at all the strakes just end like that. let me know what you think.
    Hotrodsprint. Thanks i will call duane. I was thinking the same thing you said at one point but dismissed it as possible wishful thinking.
    as you can see in the last picture from the front back right on the center line the boat has a rather steep point.. the further back it goes the more it flattens and drops towards the intake. I was thinking this was to ramp water into the intake and flatten out the bottom where the boat would ride at speed.
    anyway enjoy the pics..
    thanks agian for everyone's help. I hope to resolive this asap were off to forbiden fantasy this upcoming weekend and then i'm off for 9 days and want to get this done.

tahitijet
    another

tahitijet
    view from bow back

tahitijet
    from intake foward

HBjet
    TJ, I'm no bottom expert, but here are some photo's of my intake after the bottom work was done. With my hull, Jeff Bennet didn't need to work on the area just infront of the intake. About 6-8 inches further forward, there was some hook that he removed, but not much work was needed in that area other then that.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...tom001-med.jpg
    Here is a little better view
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0bottom002.jpg
    Here is a photo before the work. In the photo you can see the dip infront of the intake, but for what your asking, you can use this to see how the ramp into the intake should look. I'm guessing since that area wasn't worked on by Jeff.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0bottom003.jpg
    Hope that helps
    HBjet

Jake W
    Tahitijet I had a 77 bubbledeck Tahiti I think in the Tahiti adds it was called the 19 Super Tiger Bubble deck I will go back and look.the boat measured 18 feet 3 inchs.
    My intake was set further back than yours and my center strakes stoped about 2 foot if front of the intake.
    But mine did have some symptoms that the back of your keel has.In my case they set the intake at 4 deg and had to grind off the back of the keel to get the ride plate to extend out.
    It was set up with a flat shoe.
    I tried a Aggressor Short droop and it did not get the boat out of the water enough.So I went with a Aggressor long droop (or regular Berk.Ametican T ect style droop) with a 3 degree down wedge.I did not mess with the set up much so I can not give you any settings.
    The boat ran 68.6 (hook included)with a stock compreson 460 Ford with a comp cam and MSd ignition single TR and headers at 4700 rpm and had a A Aggressor imp.I had a fuel delevery problem so I could not make it run over 4700(went to a diffrent manafold now).I could hop the boat out of the water to about the diverter(enough to unload the pump) with two stomps of the gas pedal.
    I do not care wht people say about Tahitis mine was a very stright tracking boat that had no problems if you let off the gas at 69 mph it would shut down stright as an arrow never had a spin out problem or gave me any kind of greef.
    I think if I would have taken out the hook fixed the fuel problem,turned down the imp a size and did some set up changes it would have been runing in the 73-5 mph range.Not to bad for a stock comprsion very heavy layed up boat.
    If you plan on keeping that boat go ahead and set back the intake and have it machined for a shoe and ride plate and fix the hook you will be glad you did.
    In mine I replaced every pice of wood in it and put full length stringers too .
    Jake

Jet Hydro
    Jake, I think I know what your problem was! 460 Ford

Jake W
    Hea hea hea.You know my 1976 Ford is still going strong with out a rebuild if that tells you any thing.
    Jake

tahitijet
    HB Jet. thanks for the info. How do i get in touch with jeff bennet?
    Jake, my hull id tag says my boat is a 18 st (whic i assume is super tiger) however the rear of the deck looks like the 19' super tiger bubble showen on roostwear.com, so i'm not real sure. I know it's a 78 so maybee they changed the model a bit.
    I have already replaced the transom with new wood and glass as well as new stringers (swapped to full lenght) I am taking out the hook.
    my only concern is just in that intake area.. I'm not sure if it is something built into the boat to help it out ? or a major design flaw. It's obvious that it has always been that way.
    I'm not to high on the idea of pulling the intake at this point. but just so i know, How hard would it be to get out upside down? and what would be the full purpose? to grind the rear area down and reset the intake with the rear lower? how much grinding can the rear area take?
    can a shoe and ride plate be installed witout removing the intake?
    Like i said i would rather not pull the intake at this time and I'm definatly not up to set back the pump at all. but I also want the bottom to be rigth whatever it takes.
    anyone else have any input? or a phone number where i can reach jeff bennet or todd after 5pm cali time?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast