Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 Octane

skijake
    Spectra only
    The web site that racing ray is pretty good but I don't think the number add up the way I see them.
    Toluene is good but once you get above 20% will flatten out on the curve for added octane.
    MTBE I would not recommend, mainly for the reason stated. When tested it does have high octane but does not have the btu value it will actually hurt when in high consentrations. Some refinerys use a higher percentage of MTBE to meet the posted octane on the pumps and you will see that your gas mileage gets worse. Also MTBE is bad in the water.
    When I get a chance at work I'll dig up the chart I made for toluene and put it on here. If I can not find it may take awhile to run some more cases on the computer.

spectras only
    Skijake,thanks for the info,I think MTBE is banned in canada [hence the closure of Arco gaspumps here]for the reasons I've read before; killing fish all over the lakes.If I remember it cost 10 billion to develop that stuff.

ponponracing
    Skijake, I'm stuck in Canada, where the gas does'nt even smell gas. I also really need that toluene chart.
    Does toluene damage lines, fuel pump and carb. components like methanol (alcohol) does? Does it change the jetting? A customer of mine is running big boost (15pds) on unleaded premium pump gas and was suggested by Gale Bank's guy to add one once of acetone per gallon (Cdn). He is doing it but cannot stay on high boost for more than a few seconds.

skijake
    ACETONE???? Don't use it. First it can not be doing anything to help the octane. Second it can do damage to your fuel system. One once per gallon would not be enough to help if it could do anything. He is wasting his time, money and doing damage.
    I will be digging through my files and finding the chart soon, only problem is that it is based on using 92 octane fuel as a base.
    Do to some underhanded moves from Unocal California was more or less forced to change premium fuel from 92 octane to 91 octane.
    This is bad but a lot of us did not worry because we fill up in Az or Navada. BUT it was announced this week that starting October 1 Az and Navada will be lowering there octane to 91.
    I will most likely post my old 92 octane and toluene chart just to get you thinking in the right direction and then when I get a chance I will rerun the cases at 91 octane so we can be more exact.

ponponracing
    Thank's Skijake. Waiting to hear from you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12