Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CP Gullwing question

Performance difference between the 18' and 19'. Will similar horsepower push them along about the same speed? What is the difference in weight? Has anyone owned both or ridden in both? Opinions please.

Bense468
    The 18 will be quicker and is lighter. The downside is there is less room. I personally dig the 18. Anderson is running a 19 "low profile" and it is putting out some good numbers though. They had bottom work done and that pays off. Both will do the trick unless you are going for over 115. Its all about how much you want to spend. I am sure some of the other CP guys can chime in some more advise
    [ October 15, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

Thankyou, that brings up another question. How do you tell if it is a shallow hull? How many variations did it come in? What is a common lay-up weight for CP? I know it is a pain in the ass to answer questions that a novice jet guy might ask, but there are people on these boards with a wealth of knowledge. I had these types of questions for the v-drivers long ago. Thankfully some cool people helped me out and I was able to get the right boat for my needs. I like jets as well, especially CP gullwing's. Soon I will own the right one and have two great boats. Just need some help.

Bense468
    well I don't think they make different profiles (Ride heights). Andersons the one I was talking about is named "Low Profile" If that is what confused you. I am pretty sure they did make an open bow version but that is not really a "hot boat" in my eyes. Both the 18 and 19 are going to have low freeboard. If you haven't already you need to look at pictures of some and see what you think. Better yet talk to someone at the river with one and hopefully take a ride.
    As far as weight goes. The 19 usually is heavier then the 18's there is just more boat. I would bet that the normal weight for an 18 would be 400-500 lbs standard layup, they can get in the low 300 lbs range. The 19's I would guess 400-650 lbs.(someone correct me if I am wrong)It all depends on how the original owner had it setup. If it is going to be a river boat I would not suggest a boat that is in the 300lbs range. Good luck finding one. I know there is a guy named Bubba that has a really bitchen 18 for sale. I don't know how much you are willing to spend but here are some pics.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1DSCN3305-med.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1DSCN3304-med.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1DSCN3238-med.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1DSCN3303-med.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1DSCN3239-med.JPG[/img]

Threeve
    thats a sweet looking ride

LAPD Gary
    Give Bill Scotten, (owner of Ca. Perf.) a call at 702-523-4808 and he'll answer all your questions on the hulls and let you know the pros and cons of each one. There's only 3:
    18 gullwing
    19 gullwing
    18 tunnel
    and the 19 can be built as an open bow.
    They've been around since 79" and he had a hand on the "Carrera hulls" built in 78. Those are CP's outright per Scotten.

wrightnow
    I have an 18' cp and love the the boat, while a good friend has a 19' open bow. Both are great boats but you will find that most of the time the 18 will be quicker and the 19 will be faster.

LAPD Gary:
    ...They've been around since 79" and he had a hand on the "Carrera hulls" built in 78. Those are CP's outright per Scotten. Do you know if the Carrera gullwings were only built in 78? A few years back, there two different Carrera gullwings for sale in the San Francisco area. One was advertised as an 81 and the other an 80. Almost bought the 81, but the guy wanted too much for the condition it was in.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
    WRIGHTNOW. What year is your boat? Who did you get it from? Was it a race boat with center steering? Thanks.

LAPD Gary
    Oldsquirt, all the Carrera gullwings were CP's, it was some kind of deal between Winzen (carrera) and Scotten. Scotten can tell you more.
    Ca. Perf.
    Wrightnow's boat was owned by man named LaKamp (not Joe LaKamp) and it used to run around Needles. The orig. owner had a new one built after a "wild ride" in WN's. at Needles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast