Thread: Beware Of Uni - Shippers

vishus
    Uni-Shippers has SCREWED me big time. I was given a quote on Friday 2/20 for $283.58 to ship a motor I bought. It was a GOOD quote and they seemed to be very knowledgeable and willing to help me. THEY NOW WANT IN EXCESS OF $480 to ship, I have waited over 10 days and the motor has not even been picked up, let alone delivered....
    HISTORY:
    Uni-Shippers are a FRANCHISE organization, and the West (at least CA & AZ) are run out of the PHX Franchise...
    Monday 2/23 : bill of lading is delayed, no truck can be dispatched.
    Tuesday 2/24 : no one shows up to pick up the motor.
    Wednesday 2/25 : I call and the shipping agent that helped me is no longer employed with the company, a SALESMAN is very apologetic and states that the PHX office is closing down and the FLA office will be taking over. He tells me that the PHX office is transferring everything on Monday 3/1 to FLA, and to be patient and the truck should be there that afternoon. .
    Thursday 2/26 : PHX office is closed, the toll-free number is routed directly to FLA. FLA has NO IDEA about my shipping contract, I get a hold of KEVIN FISHER in FLA (owner of FLA franchise), he is very nice, and apologizes profusely in regards to the error, and says that he will look into my shippent. I get no call back from Kevin after waiting all day for a response, I call back and get "Jerry", the "LEADER" of the shipping office in FLA, he apologizes and states that they don't really like doing RESIDENTIAL deliveries and that LIFTGATES are scarce. He states that it doesn't look good in regards to my shipment going anytime soon... He understands if I want to go to another shipping company (gee I only waited 7 days to hear that). He promises to call first thing Friday.
    Friday 2/27 NO CALL FROM UNISHIPPERS, I call them around NOON, no one will answer my calls, all I get is voicemail. Late Afternoon, I finally get a hold of Jerry, he states its the last day of the month and no way my shipment is going out, no idea when it may go, will call me back...
    Monday 3/1 I call Uni-Shippers. NO ONE WILL TAKE MY CALL, they recommend I call Ed Copane (who the HELL is ED?). I leave Ed a message, a 2nd message, I call a 3rd time this Afternoon, no one, they ask if I want to leave a message again? I say NO, they get my information and inform me that the PHX office must be willing to LOSE MONEY shipping (they hinted maybe that's why they are closing...), and could do it for almost $200 more than they originally quoted!!! I am OUTRAGED, I have waited over 11 days and have made dozens of phone calls and spent hours trying to arrange shipping, to be told, SORRY, I can spend more money or go elsewhere!!!
    CUSTOMER SERVICE, what customer service?
    they are going to contact the "former" owner of the PHX office to see "how" he was going to ship my motor (though he just received his "commission" check and can't seem to be reached....).
    ANYONE know a good shipper?
    thx.sid

dorC
    I have used highway freight several times and have been very satisfied with them.

vishus
    they were the second best quote, NOW looking like the BEST quote as Uni-Shippers is SCREWING with me!!!
    no problems with them? anyone in particular to ask for?
    thx.sid

Kilrtoy
    That sucks

ROZ
    Try Best overnight, Hollywood, or Pilot shipping... We use them all the time and haven't been royally screwed, yet.....
    Or maybe RDT could help out if he's in the area...lol
    In addition, residential lifegate deliveries are more expensive... You need to let them know up front, or it won't be delivered until they have an available liftgate truck able to make the run...

dorC
    Originally posted by vishus
    they were the second best quote, NOW looking like the BEST quote as Uni-Shippers is SCREWING with me!!!
    no problems with them? anyone in particular to ask for?
    thx.sid
    I have never had a problem with them. I usually go through their website and then will get a persons e-mail. Shoot them one or two e-mails and everything is set up. Remember, these guys are a broker. Everytime I've used Highway Freight, I've delt with a different shipper. Never-the-less, I have had absolutly no problems.