Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank switch??

Anybody every did away with the tank switch and run them together so the fuel pump could pull from both tanks at once??just trying to figure if I need it or not and will it work??
    thx
    Mark

Danhercules
    I have 2 tanks, "T" together and then to the pump. Fuel pump that is. No problems. Drans from both tanks perfect.

Jordy
    Originally posted by Danhercules
    I have 2 tanks, "T" together and then to the pump. Fuel pump that is. No problems. Drans from both tanks perfect.
    Exactly what he said. Just t the tanks together.

miller19j
    Originally posted by jordanpaulk
    Exactly what he said. Just t the tanks together. Yep same hereĀ…

Chris J
    If the tanks are mounted level to each other and you have the same style pickup in each tank gravity will take care of it, even if they drawn from the top. I run a small valve at the top of each tank so I only have to draw off the dock side tank if I'm only going to be out for a short time.

1tricky1
    Good question, I have one also and have been considering dumping it. Does it also constrict fuel flow? I'll be adding a nitrous set up soon with a dedicated fuel supply and was wondering if that switch will slow the flow???

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    do the lines from the tee to the tank have to be exactly the same length for it to work or is gravity the prevailing factor here?
    Omega

Taylorman
    I was thinking about doing the same but decided not to because I was scared about one tank being sucked dry and the fuel pump sucking air. If this happens, will it mess up fuel supply? Seems like if the pump is sucking air in one tank and gas in the other, fuel pressure would decrease. No.

Chris J
    Angel and size shouldn't matter either as long as one is not so restrictive that it can not supply its half of the demand, Sharp bends, kinks or a small leak above the fuel level in the tank would be the only thing you need to watch out for. If you have a top feed it still shouldn't matter as long as the inlet screens are clean and both straws go to the bottom of the tank. Gravity work!!! Thats why there are no hills on a lake. (Ya, I know there are some big waves in the ocean, the moon and, a low pressure system also have some affect) but for this situation its safe to assume the tanks will stay level to each other due to gravity and their close proximity to each other. Even a top feed system will transfer gas over to the opposite tank when filling only one.
    Harleys have run dual tanks for decades and only draw out of the left side. There is a cross over coming out of the bottom to connect the two tanks. I've yet to run out of gas with fuel in the right tank.
    Dammit, I wish my parts would get here, I'm spending too much time on the net.

Chris J
    Opps: I forgot to the most important thing. Both tanks MUST be vented the same. If possible tee the vents together and then vent out side the hull. If you're venting through the gas caps make sure they are both the same type and functioning correctly.
    If you're having problems with one tank empting before the other I would bet you're venting to through the caps and one of them is not working correctly. Swap caps and see if the problem follows the cap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast