Thread: What regulator should I buy

22Daytona
    I finally got my procharged 509 back together and in fixing the fuel problems that caused the fried piston I now have too much flow for the ATI/Procharger regulator. The regulator is flowing wide open and I still have 62 PSI. Anybody have any suggestions?

GofastRacer
    Use a bypass system!.

Infomaniac
    Sounds like an EFI system to me.
    If the bypass is wide open and still has that much pressure, the return after the regulator must be restrictive or the pump is a real beast.

22Daytona
    Info, yes it is an EFI system. I have tried taking the bypass and running it directly into the tank temporarily to make sure that there were not any restrictions and to keep an eye on the flow. I have tried running the return from both the fuel cooler and the backside of the fuel rail, but neither worked. The whole system is plumbed with -10 lines, a brand new AZ speed fuel cooler, and a weldon 2025 pump. Even using my old Aeromotive pump, I can't get the pressure down. My guess is that with the larger lines and the higher flow cooler, that I am flowing so much more fuel that I need a larger regulator. The one from ATI is not the greatest design. What are you using on your EFI Quad rotor systems?

Infomaniac
    I am sorry to say I have not done an EFI version.
    I wish I could help.
    I would guess a high flow regulator is in order.
    Which one?

FastTimmy
    try these guys out. http://www.producteng.com/
    However I do think your problem is in the system design. Something does not add up.
    Try posting a component list of what you have, where it is going and there sizes!!
    Timmy

22Daytona
    FastTimmy,
    I agree something does not add up to me either, but I am running out of ideas. What I have is dual Imco tanks running through 3/8 NPT to -10 fittings, -10 lines to an Imco Fuel switch, -10 to a BG 5,000 gph fuel filter(-10 to 1/2 NPT fittings on both sides), from there to a Weldon 2025 pump (which I have tried an Aeromotive A1000 pump as well), -8 line from the pump to an AZ Speed and Marine high flow Fuel Cooler, -6 out of the fuel cooler to the fuel rail. I have tried the regulator run off of both the back side of the fuel rail and off of the regulator port on the fuel cooler. The regulator return line runs back into the system just prior to the filter, but in an attempt to avoid any restrictions in the return line, I have temporarily run it back to the fuel tank via just an open line into the filler neck so that I can see the flow as it comes out of the regulator. Like both you and Info have said, I was under the impression that I had a restriction somewhere. I have removed the regulator completely and setup a direct dump line out of the fuel rail to the tank and the pressure dropped to 18 psi, like you would expect. The only thing that I can figure is that the regulator cannot bypass enough fuel to keep the pressure down. Any suggestions????????