Thread: steering cable problem

Vicjet
    I am replacing my steering cable. I have an 18 foot jet boat with a 454bbc and a panther jet. My problem is that since its a panther jet the room behind the engine and the transom isvery tight because of the way the hull is manufactured to accept the panther jet, and the bellhousing is not allowing me to insert the rod thru the transom.I would really appreciate any tips, and I hope I dont have to pull the engine to replace a stinking steering cable thanks vicjet.

HotRod Sprint
    Hey Vic, not to try to kick you away from here, but you might go over to www.laidbackboaters.com they have a panther jet section with some real knowledegable people on that site.
    Rod

jimthetoolman
    I had the same problem.. unloosen your bell housing and move it.. you will be able to shove the new stearing rod in with the bell housing moved to the side. Make sure you take the 2 bolts off where the bell houseing mounts to the panther jet. It;s a pain in the ass but it worth the extra work so that you wont kink you new cable.

Vicjet
    Hey toolmam and Hotrod I really appreciate your input . Thankyou so much. I am going to try moving the bellhousing over some what, like toolman recommended and if for some reason that doesn't work then hotrod i'll try laidback boaters. thanks again Vicjet.

AZKC
    I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me. Be careful not to damage the cable when you get to that last quarter inch you think you can force but I F'd up my cable and had to buy a new one.