Thread: barrel valve seals?

Badburn
    Does anyone know what the o rings in a barrel valve are made of? Last time I bought a "rebuild kit" for mine, it consisted of 4 or 5 o rings and was about 40 bucks. :cry: I'm thinking I can probably buy them individually for about 25 cents each if I can figure out the size and what they are made of.???????

Infomaniac
    Any time you need "O" rings you can take them to your local industrial seal supplier. Or a lot of times bearings places can fix you up.

Badburn
    Does anyone know what the o rings in a barrel valve are made of? Last time I bought a "rebuild kit" for mine, it consisted of 4 or 5 o rings and was about 40 bucks. :cry: I'm thinking I can probably buy them individually for about 25 cents each if I can figure out the size and what they are made of.???????
    I forgot to mention that this is for alcohol.

Infomaniac
    Doesnt matter - the seal guys know their business.
    Are they brown?

Fiat48
    I don't know your application or what you are using. But each year....my barrell valve will leak when first fired up. And after a few minutes the O rings will swell and she will stop leaking. Very common with alcohol units.

Badburn
    I don't know your application or what you are using. But each year....my barrell valve will leak when first fired up. And after a few minutes the O rings will swell and she will stop leaking. Very common with alcohol units.
    Good tip. I'll try that next time, I usually tear into it right away when I see a leak, and its usually after it sits for a while too.

ttmott
    Buna-N is the correct material
    you can get them at McMaster.com very reasonable in packs of 10

blowngas
    Buna-N is the correct material
    most O-rings are made of buna N----and normally will work with gasoline and other oils----however, if there are any aromatics in the gas (benzene, tolulene, ect)----added to gasoline to improve octane rating--- they will cause the o-ring to usually get soft, shrink or swell, and leak---next time try and get o-rings made of viton----immune to most everything, will keep size, but is a little more pricy!!!

Badburn
    After a little internet research on buna n, and viton, I'd say I'm nothing short of an o ring expert now!! Never again will the local speed shop extort 40 bucks from me cause I dont know any better!!! (well, they will probably find another reason) HAHA, I'm free......LOL. Thanks for the hot tips guys, this board rules. :rollside: