Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insta-Rust WTF!@#!@#

Got my block and crank back from the machine shop on thursday and today i decided i would start to prep it so i can paint it. Got some brake cleaner and degreaser sprayed it down scrubbed it and hosed it off. After i was done, i grabed some rags and was going to start wiping it down and what do i find? I shit load of rust, i mean this think instantly rusted, it's rediculis, now i'm going to have to spend another 2/3 hours cleaning this thing with a brush. This sucks, the block looked ****ing awsome when i got it back and now... well i'm wondering if i should get it diped again.
    Before Wash pics....
    http://www.reitanfamily.com/gallery/Backfrommachineshop
    After Wash pics...
    http://www.reitanfamily.com/gallery/ErrWTF

Fiat48
    Wd40 (lousy lube but a marvel in marketing) and a wire brush, wash it again, blow it off and then wd40.
    Next time, dry it quick and wd40. Use air to dry, rags have lint.
    Wipe cylinders with paper towels and laquer thinner in the direction of cross hatch. Keep doing this till the no black appears on the paper towel.

I'm affriad to wash it again
    As i was drying it, it was rusting right in front of my eyes. I have never sean anything like this, i though rust took like hours/days. This was rediculis.

Cavefish
    Amazing ain't it? Parts look all sweet sitting in there plastic bag in the garage, take em out to wash them and all of sudden they look like stuff you found in a barn!
    Ditto on the Wd-40, air and wiping the hone marks clean, it works for me. The stuff should be as clean as you can get it.

Hotcrusader76
    Shaun,
    You mentioned you were going to paint it right?
    I would clean it really good as you did. Immediately afterwards coat the cam bearings, main saddles, lifter bores, piston bores, and cam bearings with some lube (WD40 or whatever somebody else recommends here).
    Then coat the insides with some Glyptal for better oil return and the outsides with whatever you desire for color. Sure there will be some minor surface rust but spraying it with WD40 will not allow the paint to adhere...at least for me it never did
    By the time that surface rust has been anything of a problem under that paint your motor will be back out again for another rebuild. See what I'm saying?
    I would just make sure the motor is completely degreased and clean before painting. It will help the paint adhesion really well.
    ~Ty

Cole Sanger
    I just got my heads back from the machine shop and I almost didn't recognize them. The shop cleaned them and didn't spray anything on them. By the time I got them home they had surface rust. I had to WD40 them real quick.

Liberator TJ1984
    Do you have a water softener on your system at home ???? Nothing like good ol' tap saltwater to get that rust started

Hotcrusader76: I was just going to ask that. wd40'ing the block would seam like it would be taking a step backwards as i cleaned the block to paint it.
    Liberator TJ1984: No, it was hooked to tap water, maybe i should have went out and bought some distilled water Also, i leave like a mile or 2 from the beach/harbor so i'm sure that doesnt help.
    I know i can get the block clean, i'm gonna go out and buy a wire brush wheel and hook it to my drill. I'm worried about the cylinders and the NEW cam bearings that where pressed in. I tryed to clean up the cylinders but i can still see alittle bit of rust color i'm assuming it's just stuck in the grooves.

GofastRacer
    You NEVER put cam bearings in a block before it is absolutely clean, they go in when you're ready to assemble the short block!...

Hotcrusader76
    GFR...
    You mention "never" to install cam bearings until the block is washed. Well what about us guys who don't or can't afford the tool to install them, let alone the experience to do it correctly moments before assembly?
    Every motor I ever built cam with them installed from the machinist and ran just fine. Now granted I wasn't running a 1000HP jobby or a forced induction BB, but don't you think that procedure would overkill considering the circumstances?
    Please advise.
    ~Ty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast