Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Blower Thermodynamics

Blown 472
    jordanpaulk:
    I dont know if it would work on a blower application, but theoretically it should follow the same principles as a turbo motor, but you could have the motor run gas and then set up a boost enrichment system that trickles alcohol into the motor to cool the charge when you're getting after it. I suppose it would have to be set up a bit different on a blower as you're seemingly always producing boost versus a turbo motor that can run without the boost in the case of just cruising. Any thoughts??? Only time you are making boost with a blower is when the motor is under load, blowers are load sensative.

Blown 472
    78Eliminator:
    Infomaniac:
    Don't just take my word for it. Wait for all the other replies. You run on alcohol, right? Do you just have the small racing pill for a tank or do you have the 15 gallon stainless tanks stuffed in the sponsons? What has to change in your carbs and motor to run alcohol? Drill out the emulsion tube holes, throw the rear jets away, jet the primaries to start at 100, increase the volume of fuel. Oh yeah drill out the tubes to the boosters.

Infomaniac
    78Eliminator:
    Infomaniac:
    Don't just take my word for it. Wait for all the other replies. You run on alcohol, right? Do you just have the small racing pill for a tank or do you have the 15 gallon stainless tanks stuffed in the sponsons? What has to change in your carbs and motor to run alcohol? I have 2 11.5 gallon side tanks and 1 5.5 gallon "T" tank. It is a lake boat. The injection was designed for alcohol. I starve it for fuel on the ramp after pulling it out of the water. I drain the system from the "T" tank and WD-40 the pump and barrel valve after I use it. I have a Holley pump to keep the "T" tank full. I drain and WD-40 it also after each use. It is not designed for alcohol and has lasted 2 seasons so far.
    [ January 16, 2003, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

78Eliminator
    Infomaniac:
    I have 2 11.5 gallon side tanks and 1 5.5 gallon "T" tank. It is a lake boat. The injection was designed for alcohol. I starve it for fuel on the ramp after pulling it out of the water. I drain the system from the "T" tank and WD-40 the pump and barrel valve after I use it. I have a Holley pump to keep the "T" tank full. I drain and WD-40 it also after each use. It is not designed for alcohol and has lasted 2 seasons so far. So you're saying the injection system is designed for alcohol but the cam, compression, and fuel system etc. is not? How many hours can you run? If you are light on the pedal, can you go 50 miles?

Infomaniac
    78Eliminator:
    Infomaniac:
    I have 2 11.5 gallon side tanks and 1 5.5 gallon "T" tank. It is a lake boat. The injection was designed for alcohol. I starve it for fuel on the ramp after pulling it out of the water. I drain the system from the "T" tank and WD-40 the pump and barrel valve after I use it. I have a Holley pump to keep the "T" tank full. I drain and WD-40 it also after each use. It is not designed for alcohol and has lasted 2 seasons so far. So you're saying the injection system is designed for alcohol but the cam, compression, and fuel system etc. is not? How many hours can you run? If you are light on the pedal, can you go 50 miles? Cam and compression are not. When the pistons or cyls wear I will up the compression to 11:1. Maybe this winter. I have not taken it apart yet. I will though. I have ran it 2 seasons without looking at the inside of it. Right now it is about 9:1. The cam is very conservative and not specific to blown alcohol. I may change it and I may not. Depends on funds.
    It runs very well the way it is. If I up the compression it will require pistons, rods and crank. I am still running GM crank now and ran Eagle rods for 2 seasons. They will not hold up to the extra power of more compression. If I have enough left over I will buy a new cam. I did change the roller lifters and springs before this last season.
    Oh yea: It is about 1 1/2 - 2 miles from the ramp to the island where we hang out. I can make it there and back, make a few passes and use about 10 gallons of Methanol
    [ January 16, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

78Eliminator
    Infomaniac:
    Oh yea: It is about 1 1/2 - 2 miles from the ramp to the island where we hang out. I can make it there and back, make a few passes and use about 10 gallons of Methanol Holy Cow!!!!! I think I am going to stick with pump gas or super blue. Geez!!!!!

Infomaniac
    What do you mean? It's only about $13.00 worth of fuel and 12 beers. Not bad for a day at the lake.

78Eliminator
    Infomaniac:
    What do you mean? It's only about $13.00 worth of fuel and 12 beers. Not bad for a day at the lake. I had no idea it was that cheap.....

Blown 472
    You keep a 55 gallon drum in your truck at the landing??

Liberator TJ1984
    That is not too bad ,Blowers love fuel . One day of moderate running I'll burn 40 gals .. eek! which translates into maybe 2hrs.run time cry
    Gopherrr

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast