Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 28' V- Bottom

Kid Mex.
    Been Lurking for a long time and have a couple of questions. I have been looking to purchase a 28 V-Hull. I have narrowed it down to DCB, Eliminator and Ultra. I want to do the 496 HO just because I figure the money upgrade for the HP 500 or 525 is not justified and I rather shell out the 8k for the whipple. I am planning on getting the XR drive with dual Hydrolic steering and open bow. What speeds can I expect from the 496 HO? I have the money to go with the 500-525 but I feel the money is better spent on the HO whipple but if I get either the 500 or 525 I won't whipple the motor. Thanks for your help.

HavasuDreamin'
    I won't be of much help, but from reading the boards, it appears the only whipple kit for the 496 is limited to 3.5psi. With a 525, you have more options.......5 psi set-up, etc. If it were me, I would shell out more money up front for a stronger motor (not necessarily a Merc) rather than putting a small kit on the 496.
    Good Luck

carbonmarine
    GO SUNSATION ! .....Call dave hare at the factory
    www.sunsationboats.com
    Their 28ft has it ALL over those whom youve mentioned....Dont take it from me... read Hot Boat & Power Boat Reviews...
    Rick32

OGShocker
    Originally posted by Kid Mex.
    Been Lurking for a long time and have a couple of questions. I have been looking to purchase a 28 V-Hull. I have narrowed it down to DCB, Eliminator and Ultra. I want to do the 496 HO just because I figure the money upgrade for the HP 500 or 525 is not justified and I rather shell out the 8k for the whipple. I am planning on getting the XR drive with dual Hydrolic steering and open bow. What speeds can I expect from the 496 HO? I have the money to go with the 500-525 but I feel the money is better spent on the HO whipple but if I get either the 500 or 525 I won't whipple the motor. Thanks for your help.
    First,,, Look at Dana 27 it is an ALL BOAT 27, not 25 plus swim step.. (sorry I had to pimp)
    To whipple the 496 HO is not a bolt on dealio. The top end needs re-work including new pistons that would add at least couple of grand to your cost.
    My Dana 27' is a honest 65 MPH boat on GPS. I run a stock 496. I have a chance to buy a newly built 496 whippled 650 plus HP with all the right parts for a song. Should push ours to 75/80 range... my guess..
    Good luck on what ever you decide and remember DRIVE IT before you buy it..
    OGS

DaveSunsation
    Kid Mex,
    If you'd like a complete information package on Sunsation and our world-class 288 send me an email with mailing address to david@sunsationboats.com and I'll get it UPS'd out to you right quick. In the meantime checkout our web-site at www.sunsationboats.com. We also have a dealer in Southern California, Castaic Boat & Marine (661-257-4140) that has a couple of awesome boats in stock as well to check out.
    Please feel free to call anytime.
    David Hare
    Chief Operating Officer
    Sunsation Powerboats
    810-794-4888

roln 20s
    I would think with a 28 DCB openbow with the 496HO (Powerboat tested the 496 at 68mph, closed bow) you might see 70 on a perfect day, and probably the same with the Eliminator. I think that with the Ultra, you can expect to be slower than the other two, my guess is around mid 60s. If you have the money, don't hesitate, get the HP500 or HP525. They pull hard in the midrange, and even though they are alot more money, its money well spent. Plus, its been talked about on numerous sites, the 525 seems to be putting out near 525 or 550hp, not what its rated for- just something to remember. I don't think a whipple 496 is the right way to go IMO.
    I know you said you narrowed it down to the three above, but I would definately look at the 28 Bullet by Howard. Its a must see, plus Sportboat of the Year 2 of the last 3 years. They make one of the best boats around. I've asked the same question about speed, etc... with this package, and apparently they have 2 out there (in the midwest) that are running high 60's with the 496 HO and the cuddy/openbow.
    As for the openbow 28 with the HP500, check to see what Keith E Sayre said about his experience- BTW, he works for Conquest.
    Heres the pic of the boat he is referring too:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...llet_1-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...ghlight=howard (http://)
    When you are talking this much $$$, I would definately look at these boats. All of those mentioned above are nice too, but I think you will find this boat to be a stand out, and worth every penny.
    Roln 20s

welk2party
    I have a 28 Eliminator cat with the 496HO. I had the same rationale as you when I bought it. Come to find out, the motor needs about another 5k in work to make the whipple a good choice. The good news is that the HP numbers are going to go way up. The bad news is it is not as cheap as I was lead to believe.
    I am currently considering a whole new motor and swiping the marine parts.

Scream
    Kid Mex,
    I'm no gear head, but I've read plenty of posts here and elsewhere that asked that same question and all have answered go for the bigger motor off the bat, you'll be happier in the end with the product. Also, my new boat has the 496 HO which I'm happy with, but it does not have a good reputation for mods like the HP500 et. al. which is ok for me but doesn't sound like a good fit for you. Just my observation.

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by roln 20s
    I would think with a 28 DCB openbow with the 496HO (Powerboat tested the 496 at 68mph, closed bow) you might see 70 on a perfect day, and probably the same with the Eliminator. I think that with the Ultra, you can expect to be slower than the other two, my guess is around mid 60s. If you have the money, don't hesitate, get the HP500 or HP525. They pull hard in the midrange, and even though they are alot more money, its money well spent. Plus, its been talked about on numerous sites, the 525 seems to be putting out near 525 or 550hp, not what its rated for- just something to remember. I don't think a whipple 496 is the right way to go IMO.
    I know you said you narrowed it down to the three above, but I would definately look at the 28 Bullet by Howard. Its a must see, plus Sportboat of the Year 2 of the last 3 years. They make one of the best boats around. I've asked the same question about speed, etc... with this package, and apparently they have 2 out there (in the midwest) that are running high 60's with the 496 HO and the cuddy/openbow.
    As for the openbow 28 with the HP500, check to see what Keith E Sayre said about his experience- BTW, he works for Conquest.
    Heres the pic of the boat he is referring too:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...llet_1-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...ghlight=howard (http://)
    When you are talking this much $$$, I would definately look at these boats. All of those mentioned above are nice too, but I think you will find this boat to be a stand out, and worth every penny.
    Roln 20s
    Roln, I knew some how you would slide in the Howard pimp!:wink:
    If I was looking for a 28' V bottom the Howard Bullet would be hands down, no doubt and call it done choice. Call Mike Willen and tell him Rocky sent you. Heck he might raise the price. :wink:

Ducatista
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    Good boats... Bad dealer (Castaic Marine)
    RD Just curious....did you have a bad experience with them? The first boat my wife & I bought was a FourWinns 205 from Castaic Boats in 1988 from Jack the owner I believe. I have not been there in a long time. He had some new Nordic's on the lot the last time I was there(probably 5 or so years ago) he was trying to sell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast