Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 525 w/ whipple

Advantage Adam
    I am in the process of buying a new boat. I am deciding on power and I need some advice. I want to run a merc. 525 w/ a whipple charger. I was looking for opinions on reliability or other options that would be around the same price.
    Thanks in advance
    Adam

roln 20s
    Did read somewhere that you are getting a Magic deckboat? I think the Whipple HP500 or HP525 is the way to go. It seems to be a very potent power supply, and reliable. I haven't seen any numbers, but I would think the 525 Whipple package has to be near 800hp. Sounds like you are ready to rock on the boat- good luck.
    Roln 20s

Essex502
    It's been told to me by a reputable, big name engine builder that Mercury just doesn't have the fuel delivery curve down yet for the HP525 and NOT to consider Whipplechrging it. They recommended a Whipplecharged HP500 instead. If the boat were an ocean boat the HP525 has an advantage with the closed cooling system over the HP500. I tend to believe the engine builder.

Advantage Adam
    that is good to know. Am I still able to request a 500hp engine? sorry if that sounds like a dumb question.

roln 20s
    Adam- to the best of my knowledge, you can still get the HP 500. I was told that Merc will make them as long as they have orders for them, but I feel that Merc created to HP525 to replace the HP500, so who knows how long this will actually be. I'm sure you can get it as of now.
    Roln 20s

OGShocker
    Originally posted by Advantage Adam
    that is good to know. Am I still able to request a 500hp engine? sorry if that sounds like a dumb question.
    There are no dumb questions...
    Good luck on your new buy!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    Email Dustin Whipple at:
    dustin@whipplesuperchargers.com
    He'll give you the straight scoop !!!!
    CJG

Essex502
    The same builder told me Mercury has been having a lot a complaints on the HP525 because of the fuel delivery problems and the "black transom" disease. Said that there shouldn't be any issue with ordering an HP500 for the foreseeable future. I hope that's true until next year when I order the new boat.

Advantage Adam
    thanks CJG

Laveyman
    Another option:
    A Teague 800 Fuel Injected costs only $5,000 more than a stock HP525, and comes with a year warranty. It's much cheaper than spending the extra $8,000-10,000 on a whipple your now warranty is gone!
    Don't get me wrong, if I were to supercharge anything, I'd definitely use a Whipple, as Dustin and his company are first rate in my book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast