Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin project pics and some hook questions

I am looking for some advice, and opinions on what if anything I should do with the hook in my hull. Any hull gurus out there?http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ehook1-med.jpg
    The hook averages 1/8" to 3/16" measured 6' up from the transom-http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/68hook1-med.jpg
    I realize this is a heavy lake hull, and will never be a race boat- I use it exclusively on a couple small lakes, and occasionally the local river- is it worth the time and effort to remove the hook?
    What kind of gains might I expect to see with this hull- It's 18'- splashed from Tahiti/Shuster/Sidewinder/Glastron- has a newly rebuilt Berk JC-A, and a newly rebuilt and mildly hopped up 455 Olds(Yeah, I know, but it's what I got, ya know?)-
    The boat ran about 55 mph at 4500 rpm on a good day, with worn out pump and tired motor.
    Any suggestions? Thanks, Stanhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/68hull2.jpg :yuk:

Ken F
    Stan,
    As long as you have it with it's legs up in the air, why not? It's going to do nothing but help, and it's really not that hard from the point you are at now.
    That is quite a bit of hook, and the bad part is, that the faster you go, the more it pushes your nose down. Think about it for a minute. It's like running with trim tabs all the way down all the time.
    Grind it down to the outboard strakes with some 80 grit on a grinder, just enough to rough it up good. Fill it flat with some stranded body filler, go over that lightly with some 40 grit on the buffer after you are done, then primer it. leave the 40 grit scratches in there. (they trap air bubbles-you don't want it smooth). Prime it, then shoot the bottom with speed-coat up to about the drivers seat, and call it good!
    Here's a link to when I did mine:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kenf100
    (look under setback/blueprinting)
    If you have questions, feel free to ask,
    I'm not an expert but had some expert advice and help doing mine.
    Ken F

American Turbine Man
    I have personally seen 7mph by removing a quarter inch hook.
    ATM

ChetCapoli
    Half the work is flipping it over and doing what you did. Might as well take the next step, it will be well worth it.
    CHET

MoparSanger
    Originally posted by Ken F
    then shoot the bottom with speed-coat up to about the drivers seat, and call it good!
    Ken F
    Where do you find the speed-coat paint.

Ken F
    Duane at HTP usually has it in stock.
    www.hi-techperformance.com
    I know I've seen it in a couple of different boat-parts catalogues, but can't remember which ones off the top of my head.
    Ken F

fourspeednup
    Since you got your questions answered I can say..........
    SWEET METALFLAKE!!!!

I appreciate the advice, and even though I am dreading working and grinding even MORE fiberglass on this thing, I will blueprint the hull- I figure even a couple mph is worth it at this point.
    Fourspeed- Thanks on the metalflake-REEEALLY old school, Eh? I like the flake, but the boat is either gonna be Porshe Red, or white with red stripes, as my interior(new) is bright white and red.
    I started this thing about 18 months ago, and finally have set a goal of Memorial day for the shakedown cruise- Wish me luck! Thanks, Stan

MoparSanger
    love that old school metalflake.
    I do wish you luck, I know you have a lot of work still to do..

Jake W
    Is that level sitting on the intake bump or on the hull where the intake is?
    Jake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast