Thread: Bowls

MudPumper
    Not the kind you smoke!!!! I thought I read recently that the number of viens in the bowl should not be divisible by the number of blades on the impeller, ie 4blade imp and 8 vein bowl. I just pulled my pump because I am taking it to Jack to have the bowl and impeller detailed. I have an old style Dominator which has 8 veins and an Agressor bronz 4 blade impeller. My question is, is it worth it to have the bowl detailed or should I get a 7 or 9 vein bowl???? Will I know the difference in performance??? I am going to ask Jacks opinion but was wondering what you guys think.
    Fire Away!!!

HammerDown
    I would think if your 8 & 4 combo is a problem...Jack will let you know.

ChetCapoli
    What is the matter with your pump that you need that stuff detailed anyways?? Besides, you never question thirty years experience.
    CHET

MudPumper
    Originally posted by ChetCapoli
    Besides, you never question thirty years experience.
    CHET [/B]
    And this is refering to what question?? And whose 30yrs of experience???

fullwood
    from what i understand about the various pump and bowl combinations, the only reason you would want more veins in your bowl is to back water up in the front of the impellor in instances were you are not loading the intake very well. is this true or not somebody please correct me!!

Jungle Boy
    In my un-solicited opinion, "Detailing" your bowl and impeller is VooDoo unless you are scratching for the last few MPH in a very high performance set up. I know that lots of you guys have done it and spent a bunch of money getting it done, but where are the numbers backing up the gains? Maybe Deepdiver could do some testing while he's doing his experimenting and data collecting. He'd be the guy to have check out a "detailed" bowl.
    Just to back up some of the this stuff. Myselve and others have spent hours deburring a bowl and making the impellers as smooth as possible for upcomming races, only to drive over a 50 ft gravel bar and pump all sorts of rocks through the pump and impeller. End result; maybe 1-2 mph speed loss. Sharpen up the impeller and knock off the dulled edges on the bowl and re-gain 1-2 MPH. For a guy that is running a heavy boat, with all the coolers, water toys, 4 people ect ect;;;;is it really worth the cost?
    Let the fire begin..

Danhercules
    This other thread, this guy would be perfect, and answer a lot of questions.
    Just the bowl (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=41844)
    He is not lookin to upgrade anything else. This would give the answer.