Thread: New floors

frantic rat
    Hey everyone, new member here. I am looking for some help with installing new floors on my 1978 Hondo. I used to work there in the 70's and am familar with laminating. Does anyone know of someone in the LA area good with restoration for some help. Also I have heard of some epoxy's that could be good with this process but are not sure. Any help would be great.

Welcome to the boards rat.
    I just got done doing the process you are asking about.
    I would not have attempted it without the help of a good friend who know's how to fiberglass. & with the advice of Billy B. here on the boards.
    In a nut shell, Removed kick board & panels. Ground the floors down to glass. straight lined & filled. Layed in wood venier with marine epoxy resin. installed new kick boards & panels, also venierd. Layed a layer of glass over the top again with epoxy resin. Sanded & filled with resin, painted stringers & keel. getting ready to flo-coat this weekend.
    BTW-that is just an overview. I probably have more than 200 hours in just the floors of my deal. It is verry time consuming.
    Billy should chime in on this one.
    Morg.

frantic rat
    Thanks for the info, just stopped by Howard Boats on the way home to see if they might help with the supplies, got a bit of a tude, but they did offer to sell me their 5/8" runner bottom mold, and like I explained to the gentleman, that boat wouldn't run 30 years ago so why would I want one now.

BILLY.B
    There's a couple of ways to do this. You can call me at the shop if you'd like too. 909-982-8555. And i'll let you know what I know.

frantic rat
    Billy,
    Thanks for the great info on the phone!
    Frantic Rat

frantic rat
    Question for Billy B.
    I am sanding the floors now but am wondering how far to go. Like I explained on the phone the entire bottom is black. I have sanded down to see the original wood in some spots but it looks like I will have to go further to remove the cracks, possibly showing the white on the cloth. My question is this, if I am going to put venier on most of the bottom will the cracks underneath be a problem later if they are not completely sanded out now?
    Thanks as always,
    Wolfy