Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual plane or single plane?

The last project for my Advantage is a little induction work. I'm going to try adding a 2" carb spacer to the stock CJ manifold for now, but I'll be changing the intake in search of more r's. I have a Berk E with an A impeller, and my tach shows 4100 rpm. I have my doubts about that, but the pump is fresh. To the point..... for a jet, does a dual plane really make sense? I've heard 460s like to breath, and it would make sense to me that a single plane would help raise the powerband higher than a dual. Has anyone done a head-to-head (or even seat of the pants) comparison between the two?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I went from a edelbrock single plane to a dual plane performer RPM. I did not notice any gain in rpm on the top end but the RPM manifold had better all around driveability. I turn my engine 5300rpm with the RPM no problem. I think the RPM is best for ALL around performance. I also had a 650 holley on it last summer. Uping that to a 750 marine holley this year. Hope this helps.
    Omega

Ken F
    Had the same experience wth my 460.
    After going from a single plane to a Weiand Stealth, bottom end & driveability greatly improved, top end stayed the same. Much more power out of the hole, and through mid-range.
    Ken F

Sounds like I wouldn't really be much better off than I am with the CJ. I have a Proform converted 4150 on the 68 I might bolt on the boat with the spacer. It's supposed to breath 830-850 cfm, and I KNOW it's a killer carb. The down side is the wife gets pissy when I start tearing apart the rides to try speed equipment on the boat............

I think the outcome of dual plane to single plane will depend alot on your other engine components.
    If I run desktop dyno on my setup BBF 460 I show approximately 500 hp at 5500 rpm with my Weiand Stealth. By switching to the singleplane it jumps up to 520 hp. It doesn't help much if I can't spin my pump to the 5500 rpm though. Since I'm only turning 5300 rpm now, the increase wouldn't do me much good.
    I was in pretty much the same boat (pun intended) as you a few years back. My basically stock Ford was turning 4400 rpm @ 62mph with an Edelbrock Torker singleplane and I made the switch to a Weiand Stealth and absolutely nothing changed. I can't even say I experienced any change in "driveability" as the others did. It ran the same rpm and the same speed as with the singleplane.
    Probably the biggest benefit to you would be a pretty serious weight savings. That stock iron CJ probably weighs 60+ lbs.

Squirtcha, here's my setup, and it probably wouldn't help alot changing intakes at this point. I'd probably get more out of it with D0VE or C9VE heads.
    460 .040 over forged TRWs, w/ D3VE mildly ported heads. 8.5:1 comp with these heads. Comp Cams 230@.050, .530 lift 110 lc, CJ intake w/ 750 DP. I know I can pic up more with OTs, but this boat is more a cocktail cruiser than racer.
    BTW, some lunatic on Banderlog came up with that name last year...... thanks!

TopCat
    Originally posted by roostwear
    Squirtcha, here's my setup, and it probably wouldn't help alot changing intakes at this point. I'd probably get more out of it with D0VE or C9VE heads.
    460 .040 over forged TRWs, w/ D3VE mildly ported heads. 8.5:1 comp with these heads. Comp Cams 230@.050, .530 lift 110 lc, CJ intake w/ 750 DP. I know I can pic up more with OTs, but this boat is more a cocktail cruiser than racer.
    BTW, some lunatic on Banderlog came up with that name last year...... thanks! Maybe others wont agree but with 8.5-1 it really isnt going to make much difference if you dont hav cobra jet valves porting those heads isnt going to buy you alot either Fords dont breath real well you need a bigger cam & more compression and try to find cjheads or at least hwy patrol heads it will still be skiable and alot quicker

Blown 472
    Well there is a port mismatch between the intake and the heads. A small port stealth would work. If you do that, whatcha going to do with the iron intake??

Jake W
    I was running a single Offey Tunnel Ram last year.And now I went to a Victor intake with a SB 2 inch spacer REX 1/4 in plate (for fule block and cable holder)and 1 inch NX nitrous spacer.so I guess I will have 3 and 1/4 in spacer under the carb.What do you guys think that will do?
    Jake

Originally posted by roostwear
    BTW, some lunatic on Banderlog came up with that name last year...... thanks!
    Hey I resemble that lunatic thing. I ran your numbers on desktop dyno and it looks like the two biggest improvements would be to cut the impeller down to a point where you could run at 5000 rpm as that's where your peak horsepower is. It would get you a useable 50 hp over what you've got now at 4100 rpm. Headers would net you another 50 hp at that same 5000 rpm, but I understand wanting to keep it a cruiser.
    With mine an additional 100 hp gets me about 7 mph with an increase of 350 rpm.
    Then again, that motor will last you forever running at 4100 rpm and that's a really good thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast