Thread: boat in the water, please help with a problem.

79 Bonita
    Took the boat out today. What a cluster fu*k. My wife has a hitch on her jeep but my daily driver is a Pinzgauer so it has a military pintle hook. I asked a girl from work to borrow her truck. As I was putting it in the water I noticed her hitch sagging. The hitch damn near fell off the truck. So, in the water I go. I have a guy wanting to buy the boat so I want to make sure it is in good shape when he gets here tomorrow. Hasn't been in the water since last september. I was going great and it was running fabulous. I look back and the whole ass end of the boat is full of water. A freeze plug has a hole in it. Looks like it kind of rusted a little and put a hole in it. So shit I need to fix that tonight as I don't want him to get a piece of shit...It is pretty amazing how fast it fills up with water when there is that much water running into it. Any one else ever have this happen? Is stored it in a heated garage but did not put antifreeze in or anticorrosion anything. Runs fine and the pump works great. Did I store it wrong? thanks, bryan

King Kuracz
    Sounds like you have steel (instead of brass) freeze plugs in your block.
    Not much you can do besides replace it.

Fiat48
    If the soft plug is too difficlut to get to and replace in the field you can dry it off and use ultra blue silicone to seal it and get through the boating day.
    Brass soft plugs are what you need.

wet77
    Use a fix it type plug that any car parts store carries, I use them in my boat and have never had a problem, great for the seasonal motor flush, just loosen the nut and pop them out it makes it easy to get the sand out of your block too!!

My dad used to blow the freeze plugs out every now and then on our 396 that used to be in the boat until he installed the rubber plugs. You may want to try those.

Duane HTP
    Putting a boat away for the winter without antifreeze in the block is a real NO, NO! Especially in a heated grarge. You are lucky that it only got a soft plug. Guys who have brass, ( and you should have), soft plugs think they can get away with it, and every year in the spring, someone who has done that shows up at our shop with a block rusted clear through the water jacket into the cylinder. Always leave the motor set with a mixture of antifreeze and water in it.

79 Bonita
    Well, it's sold. So how do you get the antifreeze in there? I am in the market for another boat I guess as this one is outta here. hope that guy has fun with it, but it was a little too ugly for me. Anyone have a nice boat for sale? I would like to buy that one on ebay with the 427 Ford...Anyone see that one? I know it is a V drive but what do you guys think of it? regards, bryan