Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Turbo installation project

Unchained
    Thanks,
    I just refired the mighty Arias after installing new Bill Miller aluminum rods.
    I had the cold starting set real good last fall and it started and ran smooth just like last fall.
    I remember with carbs the first start of the year was like, "How is it going to run this year"
    I remounted the wastegates on the turbine housings farther upstream and am now shooting for 12lbs boost, 1200 hp, pump gas.
    I'll be putting it in the water this weekend if the rain stops and I'll have a chance to try out the new wide band O2 sensor.
    Blowers and carbs are old school, just not everyone realizes it, yet.

DEL51
    Keep it up Unchained.I am so fired up for you.

TurboNova
    Hi, I am new to the forum and was passed this link by another turbo boat guy. Interesting thread. I would like to clear up a couple of things that I read. People say that leaded fuel will kill an O2 sensor and that is totally not true. I have had the same O2 sensor in my race car for three years without any problem. Mositure will kill a sensor and some of the shock of the boat might be hard on the sensor but don't worry about leaded fuel. The other thing that I read was to use a pop off valve instead of the right sized wastegate, this is also a bad idea. A pop off valve will only open on the cold side of the turbo compressor side it will not relieve the pressure on the hot header side. Another suggestion was two more wastegates, why not just get two big wastegates and be done with the problem? For an engine like you are building you should use two 50 or 60mm gates like an HKS GT or GTII, they would be plenty. There are some guys using this gate with over 2500hp and no boost problems. I also wondered why the choice of halltech? There are other systems that come with a wideband and datalogger built in, FAST, Big Stuff3 and Accel also make good EFI systems that are more geared toward big horsepower domestic engines. Most of the electromotive/hall tech style stuff that I do is on european type cars that use the 60-2 wheel. When you bought the Innovate Wide Band did you also get the RPM pickup? This is a very good Wide Band for the price and makes tuning alot easier for carbs and EFI systems that don't have a wideband.
    I did a low buck turbo build for my brother's drag boat last year using mostly what he already had. Jeff Macy Blow Thru V-Drive (http://www.brianmacy.com/horsepower/jeffmacy.htm)
    We took this to the V-Drive bash in Needles early on this year.
    This engine made 676hp on pump gas with 10psi. He has less than $6000 in the engine and turbo system. Two old 660 holleys, a single GT42 turbo, Tial 40mm wastegate, 355 chevy stock block, canfield heads, scat crank and rods, TRW blower pistons and an old Edelbrock tunnel ram.
    Our goal was to make reliable horsepower on pump gas. We could have turned up the boost but I already thought he would have his hands full.
    He has run the crap out of this boat this year and had a good time with it.
    You can see pictures of my single turbo 66 Nova at Forced Air Racing (http://www.forcedairracing.com)
    It makes 1172hp to the rear tires
    http://www.brianmacy.com/images/race/66novaengine.jpg
    Brian Macy
    Horsepower Connection
    Horsepower Connection.com (http://www.horsepowerconnection.com)

ARS Marine inc.east
    Nice stuff Turbonova
    This year I'll be finishing up on my Project
    Got the :sqeyes: fire :sqeyes: Restarted
    After taking over ARS Marine I've Been real busy , Not enough time for MY TOYS
    This winter I'll have the Project on the DYNO.

Unchained
    Turbo Nova,
    Hello, I didn't think this thread was even around anymore.
    The last post on this thread was almost a year and a half ago.
    Thanks for the input.
    I bought the Haltech from a local dealer. I know there are many other brands out there. They can get real pricey. The Haltech is about the cheapest
    at $ 1,350.00. It's worked well for me. I can't complain about it.
    I found that wastegates and blowoff valves are both required if you're going to run some significant boost.
    Taking your foot out of it when you're at 20# leaves the boost no where to go.
    I got the Innovative unit with the aux. box that has the tach pickup, MAP sensor, EGT thermocouple, and TPS. It has a real good datalogging that has really helped me get the tune right.
    That looks like a real nice system in the picture.
    I see you have a blow off valve on that.
    Where did you locate the intercooler ?
    1172 hp is real strong for that small block.
    How much boost does it take to make that hp?
    Mark

Infomaniac
    bump for first page of archive

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011