Thread: Top of the Ball?

SMFRiverRat
    I have just purchased a new truck and have a question. After a lifting I am in need of a new Drop hitch and Ball. What is the correct height of the ball above the ground (generic) for most trailers and is that measured from the top of the ball?
    At the risk of turning this into a Ford VS.. Chevy VS.. Dodge I will refrain from revealing the make. Thanks!

welk2party
    17" is for my boat.

Quality Time
    I just purchased a new drop due to a suspension lift. I called the trailer manufacturer and was told 21" to the top of ball. I assume this will vary depending on the trailer, but should put you in the ballpark. Also, take into consideration any sag your vehicle may experience. BTW, triple axle aluminum with 14" wheels.

Scream
    Call your mfg because I think they're all different. Mine (Kachina) is supposed to be at least 18", but my SeaRay was less...and unless you have airbags you probably need to take into account the drop of the rear end from the tounge weight.

fourspeednup
    Did you use blocks in the back with the original springs? If so, it will sag no more than originally.
    If you used new soft ride springs, it's gonna drop a lot because of the tongue weight so be careful

MudPumper
    Originally posted by Scream
    [.and unless you have airbags you probably need to take into account the drop of the rear end from the tounge weight. [/B]
    Put your trailer on level ground (not hooked to a vehicle) and raise or lower the tongue while looking at the suspension shackles, tires and wheel wells to determin where level is. Measure to top where the ball will be in tongue.
    Take into account sag if you don't have bags. Put the hitch you have on now and measure to top of ball, hook up boat and measure again to find out how much truck went down. The rest is basic math. Every rig is different.