Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaver rake

Forkin' Crazy
    How much more bow lift do you get with a cleaver with more rake?
    Example: The 30" Merc cleaver has less rake than the 32" Merc cleaver. As far as I know Merc doesn't make a high pitch raker with no rake. What other manufactor makes one?
    BTW Thinking of getting a 32". :O

Scream And Fly.com
    Paul,
    Usually, more rake = more bow lift. It is my observation that the Mercury Cleavers tend to have more rake than most other cleavers. That's one of the reasons I like them so much - they give good stern lift and provide some bow lift as well. If you like the Mercury Cleavers, your best bet is to have Mercury Racing work on it for your specific application. They never let us down, and we just received our 32P Mercury Cleaver from Mercury and ran it this past week for the TV shoot at 115 mph (still had more to go) - no problem!
    I have a very high-rake Spinelli Cleaver, but that prop has major work done on it for Formula One use, so it's not a fair example of Spinelli props. It gives a LOT of bow lift though! I'm saving that one for my Progression 22 / 300X that's being built this summer.
    Greg

hpron
    Whazz up greg..good to see ya spread some good stuff over here as well...aka Talon Skat 21

Kim Hanson
    Originally posted by Scream And Fly.com
    Paul,
    Usually, more rake = more bow lift. It is my observation that the Mercury Cleavers tend to have more rake than most other cleavers. That's one of the reasons I like them so much - they give good stern lift and provide some bow lift as well. If you like the Mercury Cleavers, your best bet is to have Mercury Racing work on it for your specific application. They never let us down, and we just received our 32P Mercury Cleaver from Mercury and ran it this past week for the TV shoot at 115 mph (still had more to go) - no problem!
    I have a very high-rake Spinelli Cleaver, but that prop has major work done on it for Formula One use, so it's not a fair example of Spinelli props. It gives a LOT of bow lift though! I'm saving that one for my Progression 22 / 300X that's being built this summer.
    Greg
    Let's see picture's or video...Greg!....( . )( . )......You can do it!

You Te
    I guess you don't like bottom end FC.
    You Te

Forkin' Crazy
    Thanks for the reply,Greg. I was just wondering how much more lift would be generated by the higher pitch cleavers because they have more rake then the lower pitch.
    I really don't think that I will need much bow lift. Mid 90's I am running some negative trim with a SRX. I know it makes a good bit of bow lift. I was just wondering how much more bow lift is created by more rake.
    BTW I posed the same question on your website, just didn't get a lot of answers, or not the one I was looking for. Looks like this going to be a trial and error type thing.
    I was thinking of getting a cleaver from Precision Propeller. Anyone try one of these?

Forkin' Crazy
    Originally posted by You Te
    I guess you don't like bottom end FC.
    You Te
    There is where you are wrong my friend.
    My 27" yammi copy does just fine.
    But, I was looking to break the century mark with my antiquated OMC.... LOL! She is 24 this year.....

Scream And Fly.com
    Paul,
    Remember, Rake and Pitch are not always related. You can have a high-pitch, low-rake propeller. I had a 30P Mazco that had very little rake, and as a result, had very, very little lift to it.
    I'm sorry you didn't get the answers you were seeking on Scream And Fly - I didn't see your post
    Greg

HavasuDreamin'
    Can someone tell me what "rake" is in lamens terms?
    Reason I ask is that I have been running a round ear (Mazco RE-3) on my 19' Elim. Daytona/2.4 Merc Bridgeport combo. The prop worked well for me until I took out the two saddle tanks (mounted pretty far forward) and installed one center tank towards the rear. That made a huge difference in the boats attitude. It didn't want to fly before. Now that is no problem.
    However, now at the very upper end of the RPM band (7,000+) I develop a porpoise that starts with the passenger side sponson picking up, then letting down, then picking up, then letting down. It starts to get so violent that I have to let out of the throttle before I get to max rpm .....about 7,500. This usually only happens with me in the boat. If I put another passenger up front, it tends to not do this as bad, especially if that person is 150lbs. +
    I suppose part of it could be that I (driver) sits on the left side and the prop is RH rotation. But I still should be able to get the porpoise out. Bottom is straight.
    I have messed with the trim, postive trim, negative trim. Nothing is working for me. Been thinking about switching to a cleaver since I am running no positive trim at speed. What type of prop would you guys look at. Cleaver, Lightning Et????? What brand. Keep in mind I will probably be buying used since I don't want to fork over $750 for a prop that may not work.

Forkin' Crazy
    My understanding is the rake is the angle of the trailing edge of the blade inrelation to the propeller shaft.
    From reading on the Merc website (I think they have changed it b/c I can't find it anymore) the cleavers up to 30" had almost no rake, and over 30" was like 10 or 15 degrees. This is what I was getting at. How much dif will it make? I guess I worded my question wrong????
    HD, how high are you running your motor? Pad to propshaft?
    A cleaver will give you mostly tail lift. Additional rake will give it more bow lift (from what I understand).
    Sounds like you may need more setback? If your running positive trim?
    Has your prop been worked on? You can have it cupped to make more bow lift.
    I am having a little handling problem too. I think it is mainly weight and balance. I have some bags of lead shot that I am going to add as balast in several different places to see if it helps. I think I may have to change for less setback b/c I am running almost negative trim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast