Thread: removing hook from hull

tooslow
    Anyone have info on how much speed will be gained by removing over 1/4 inch of hook from bottom of a 21ft open bow. Also, How close do I need to get with fiberglass before using a filler?

ratso
    I would use as little filler as possible. We usually top ours off with 35-50 mils of gelcoat when done, then sand it and buff it out. You may want to go with a speed coat after that. I don't know what speed you are running now, but a good average may be in the 3-5 mph range. While you're at it make sure all your edges are nice and sharp too.

H20Advantage
    Ok, This may be a stupid question but I have been hearing this thing about a hook on your boat. What is a hook on your boat? Is it something installed on your boat or something that develops over time in the fiberglass?

ratso
    H20...A boat hull that isn't straight on the bottom running area either has a hook or a rocker in it. .................some manufacturers purposely put a hook in the bottom of their boats. Anyway, take a straightedge on the bottom and if it highcenters, you have a rocker, if you see daylight between the hull and straightedge, you have a hook. If you have one or the other you can have your hull "blueprinted"

H20Advantage
    Thanks Ratso,
    I am now in the know......... At least for the moment. So much to learn, it's great to have somplace to post these types of questions.
    See ya.